Baking is one of my favorite pastimes. I enjoy baking cookies, cakes, breads, pies, muffins, cupcakes, and much more.
Blueberry Muffins: A Revamp Recipe
My family and I love blueberry muffins—they are one of our favorite baked treats. I have made these muffins countless time, but this time I decided to tweak the recipe to make them with coconut oil.
Why Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is an edible oil extracted from the kernel or meat of mature coconuts harvested from the coconut palm. The recipe that I usually use calls for vegetable or canola oil. However, I have been using coconut oil quite a bit in other recipes, as well as in my beauty regimen, and I wondered if coconut oil would work in my blueberry muffins, too.
The texture of the muffins was very moist, and the coconut oil added a very nice nutty flavor. I thought my experiment was a great success.
The Streusel Topping
By the way, he streusel topping makes these muffins even more delicious. Streusel is a crumbly sweet topping of sugar, flour, and butter that is often layered over pies and cakes. I love the buttery, cinnamony flavor on top of the muffins. It's a really simple recipe, too; you only need cold butter, flour, ground cinnamon, and light brown sugar.
This recipe is perfect for the holidays. I hope you like it as much as we do!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
For the streusel topping:
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cool and cut into pieces
For the blueberry muffins:
- 2 cups self-raising flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup half and half, or any milk you prefer
- 1/3 cup organic virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
Read More From Delishably
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- For the streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and ground cinnamon. Stir with a spoon to evenly combine. Work in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture is roughly crumbled. Set aside.
- For the muffins: In a large bowl, combine the sugar and eggs. Whisk until they are well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract, half and half, vegetable oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Add the flour into the mixture and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add a little flour to the blueberries and give them a toss.
- Add the blueberries into the mixture and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In the meantime, line a standard-sized muffin tray with baking papers.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, fill each muffin cup with batter.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture over each muffin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the muffins on a wire cool rack to cool.
- Enjoy your muffins with coffee or tea!
© 2020 Liza