Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Scones
Healthy Breakfast Bread
This recipe produces an almost savory but yummy breakfast bread. It's the result of a series of experiments with substitution on traditional Scottish scones. This version passed the taste test for me and my 5 year old, hope you like it too. If you don't have flax meal, and are not concerned about cholesterol, replace the flax and water with an egg. This will make the scones less crumbly as well, but you loose some omega-3.
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Peanut Butter
- 2 tbs Flax Meal
- 4 tbs water
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 1/4 cups if using quick oats
- 4 tbs sugar, can be adjusted for taste
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- Mix flax meal and water in a small cup. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Put all wet ingredients into a bowl and stir well.
- Add all dry ingredients and stir again until well mixed. You may want to sift together all but the oats to make sure it's well mixed, but it will work dumping in the bowl if you are in a hurry.
- Form into two circles on a cookie sheet about as thick as your hand.
- Use a butter knife or pizza cutter to cut triangle slices in the dough.
- Bake 425 F 12-14 minutes.