Hello! I am a stay-at-home mom to two wonderful children who keep me very busy.
My Favorite Banana Bread Recipe
I have recently read about all the health benefits of bananas from vitamins to fiber and beyond.
Serving banana bread as a snack is a great way of sneaking something healthy into your kids' diet. My kids always get excited when I make banana bread. Their favorite banana bread (and mine) is when we add chocolate chips. You could also experiment with adding raisins or nuts.
Banana bread is a great way to use up ripe bananas and get health benefits too!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
2 loaves, 24 slices each
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup stick margarine or butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3 or 4 mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of 2 loaf pans with shortening.
- Gently squeeze the banana peel with the banana still in it until the banana softens.
- Mix sugar and margarine in a large bowl. Stir in eggs. Add bananas, buttermilk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour batter into pans.
- Bake for 1 hour. If a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, they are done.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Loosen the bread from the pan. Remove the bread from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!!!
Ways To Eat Banana Bread
Banana bread tastes good on its own, but you could put some warm butter or jam on a slice of banana bread. I personally like to warm up my slice of bread and put a cherry or raspberry jam on top.
You could also top a slice of banana bread with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Storing Your Freshly Made Bread
I normally place a loaf of bread in a gallon-sized ziplock bag. Since this recipe makes two loaves of banana bread, I freeze one and place the other one in the refrigerator. Squeeze out any air, and place it in the refrigerator or freezer until you are ready to eat it.
In the freezer, the banana bread keeps for months. In the refrigerator, I wouldn't leave it in there for more than a few weeks.
© 2012 Melanie Casey
Melanie Casey (author) from Indiana on March 19, 2018:
Hi Eloise! Yes, ripe bananas are best for cooking. My kids like to smash them a little more while they are in the peel before adding them to the blender.
ELOISE DIXON SMITH on March 18, 2018:
CAN I ADD RIPE BANANAS
Melanie Casey (author) from Indiana on June 19, 2012:
Thanks! We made banana bread today. The house smells so nice when it is cooking! In the summer, we put a scoop of ice cream on the plate with the banana bread. It's a great dessert!
clairewait from North Carolina on June 19, 2012:
Even though it is the dead of summer, this looks delicious right now. I love chocolate chips in my banana bread. Next time I see overripe bananas on the day old produce rack, I'm coming back to this.