Easy Whole Wheat Crescent Rolls Recipe
Whole Wheat Crescent Rolls
This is an easy-to-make whole wheat crescent roll that is great when spread with butter or jam, or made into a sandwich.
- 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
- 1 cup water, warm
- 7 tbsp liquid egg whites
- 4 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup margarine, frozen
Freeze Your Margarine
Place 1 cup of margarine into the freezer the night before you want to back these crescent rolls. Margarine needs to be frozen to grate properly.
- Mix water and dry yeast, and set aside.
- Mix together flours, milk powder, salt, and sugar.
- Using a grater, grate frozen margarine into flour, stirring occasionally to coat pieces.
- Pour in yeast mixture and 6 tbsp of egg whites.
- Mix lightly to form a dough ball, cover and place in freezer for 1 hour.
- Turn cold dough onto a floured surface and lightly knead for a minute or two.
- Roll dough out into a 20"x12" rectangle.
- Use a pizza cutting wheel to cut the dough in half length wise to form 2 -10"x12" pieces. Cut wedges with 3" wide bases from each half yielding 8 pieces from each half.
- Roll wedges starting at wide end and place on parchment lined baking sheet point side down and turn ends in slightly.
- Set aside to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Brush tops of crescent rolls with 1 tbsp of egg whites.
- Preheat oven to 400 F and bake for 5 minutes. Lower heat to 350 F for additional 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Steps to SuccessClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2017 Wes Clark