Niki has been an online writer for over three years. Niki's articles often have to due with cooking and gardening.
A Lucky Happenstance
When I was a student in university, I often partook in charity bake sales. Muffins or cupcakes were my go-to contributions. Unfortunately, I was not a good planner and was often terribly disorganized.
I clearly remember the time Power 2 Change was raising funds to provide emergency care packages for nine Syrian families overseas. Being a stressed student drowned in assignments, papers, presentations, and midterms, I forgot about the sale until the night before. Frantically, I searched for anything I could use to bake at least a dozen muffins. I had a cake mix, a few bananas, and a handful of strawberries; below is the result!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Makes 18 muffins
- 3-4 Ripe bananas (mashed)
- 3/4 cup Your choice of sweetener, (You can combine white and brown sugar, or use other sweeteners, such as Stevia or demerara sugar)
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 cup Yogurt, sour cream, or apple sauce, (I used low fat yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- Dash of Salt
- 1 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- Several pieces/slices soft fruit (i.e. any type of berry)
- 3/4 cup Dried goji berries, (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F (177⁰C).
- Mash bananas. Add sugars and egg.
- Add yogurt, apple sauce, or sour cream.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt). Mix well.
- (Optional) Fold in goji berries gently with a spatula.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Fill each one a quarter full. Add fruit/fruit slices, then cover and fill halfway with batter. Using a toothpick, swirl batter around the fruit to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let the muffins cool, then enjoy!
© 2016 Shortcake-Niki
Cynthia Zirkwitz from Vancouver Island, Canada on July 08, 2018:
Simple little recipe, born of desperation, and I like it. Thanks for posting! I have added you as a friend and hope to see more articles from you!
Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on October 04, 2016:
Wow! All the display of your fruit drop muffins is mouth watering.
Well illustrated and sweet hub_ I want to try all of them.
Thanks for sharing!