Homemade Sugar and Cinnamon Sweet Cornbread with Baked Apple Slices
Rate This Recipe
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 8 servings
Easy Recipe for Corn Bread
I love cornbread. It's delicious. It's pretty. What I love most is its versatility. It can be a snack, a side dish, or the star of the show. You can drizzle it with honey or dip it in chili. You can dress it up or dress it down. This easy to bake recipe leans towards the dressy side with apple, sugar, cinnamon, honey and simple syrup. I usually have a box of Jiffy cornbread mix in my pantry for cornbread emergencies-- but homemade cornbread is a beautiful thing. If you're in search of recipes for sweet cornbread-- this is one of the sweetest I have ever tasted. So how do you make cornbread?
How Do You Make Corn Bread?
This easy homemade dessert is easier to make than you might think. I usually have all the necessary ingredients on hand since they're simple, staple items. The most important ingredient is of course, cornmeal. You can use white or yellow (I've used both before). Cornbread made from white cornmeal will still be yellow from the coloring of the egg yolks. This cornmeal bread recipe can be baked in almost any oven-safe pan or dish and is ready in about 30 minutes.
How Do I Make Cornbread from Scratch?
Ingredients in Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
Instructions for Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In large mixing bowl combine all wet ingredients and mix well.
- In separate large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture, gradually, mixing well with each addition.
- Pour batter into greased baking pan or dish.
- Sprinkle top of cornbread batter with remaining cinnamon-and-sugar mixture. (For more info, see recipe for baked apples below)
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Best served fresh out of oven or re-heated. Serve with baked apples and give each serving a drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
- (see recipe for cinnamon apples below)
Homemade Corn Bread
Prep Time: 6 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Ready in: 20 min
Yields: 8 servings
Recipe For Baked Apples in Oven
Ingredients for Cinnamon Apples
- 1 green apple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
Instructions for Apples
- Peel and cut apple into even slices (1 apple will yield about 16 pieces).
- In small bowl combine honey and lemon juice and mix well.
- In separate small bowl, combine cinnamon and sugars. Mix well with fork.
- Dip each apple slice into the lemon-honey mixture coating both sides and place on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tops of apples with cinnamon sugar mixture, saving some to sprinkle on top of raw cornbread batter.
- Bake apples in 400° oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with warm cornbread.
Corn Bread and Apples
Cornbread is a bit of a comfort food for me. It reminds me of making cornbread muffins with my mom or cornbread stuffing at Thanksgiving. I enjoy baking it from scratch and also from the box-- but I really love eating it. This dessert is perfect for fall. Serve at informal get-togethers when it's cold outside or bring to Thanksgiving dinner. Make baking and serving even easier by baking in cute ramekins for individual servings.