Heather is happiest when taking a beautiful photo, creating something in her kitchen, or elbows-deep in a DIY project.
Easy Recipe for Cornbread
I love cornbread. It's delicious. It's pretty. What I love most is its versatility. It can be a snack, a side dish, or the star of the show. You can drizzle it with honey or dip it in chili. You can dress it up or dress it down. This easy-to-bake recipe leans towards the dressy side with apple, sugar, cinnamon, honey, and simple syrup. I usually have a box of Jiffy cornbread mix in my pantry for cornbread emergencies—but homemade cornbread is a beautiful thing. If you're in search of recipes for sweet cornbread, this is one of the sweetest I have ever tasted.
So how do you make cornbread?
Ready in 30 Minutes!
This easy homemade dessert is easier to make than you might think. I usually have all the necessary ingredients on hand since they're simple, staple items. The most important ingredient is, of course, cornmeal. You can use white or yellow (I've used both before). Cornbread made from white cornmeal will still be yellow from the coloring of the egg yolks. This cornmeal bread recipe can be baked in almost any oven-safe pan or dish and is ready in about 30 minutes.
Step 1: Make the Cornbread
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ready in: 30 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all wet ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture, gradually, mixing well with each addition.
- Pour batter into greased baking pan or dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the cornbread batter with the remaining cinnamon-and-sugar mixture. (For more info, see the recipe for baked apples below.)
- Place in oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. It is best served fresh out of the oven or reheated. Serve with baked apples and give each serving a drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
Step 2: Make the Oven-Baked Apple Slices
Prep Time: 6 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ready in: 20 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
- 1 green apple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- Peel and cut the apple into even slices (1 apple will yield about 16 pieces).
- In a small bowl combine honey and lemon juice and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar. Mix well with a fork.
- Dip each apple slice into the lemon-honey mixture coating both sides and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tops of apples with cinnamon sugar mixture, saving some to sprinkle on top of raw cornbread batter.
- Bake apples in 400°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with warm cornbread.
Cornbread is a bit of a comfort food for me. It reminds me of making cornbread muffins with my mom or cornbread stuffing at Thanksgiving. I enjoy baking it from scratch and also from the box—but I really love eating it. This dessert is perfect for fall. Serve at informal get-togethers when it's cold outside or bring to Thanksgiving dinner. Make baking and serving even easier by baking in cute ramekins for individual servings.