How to Make Muffins 4 Ways
Basic Recipe With Four Variations
This simple recipe can be customised in many different ways. Below, I will show you how to make four incredibly tasty varieties:
- Chocolate chip
- Blueberry and raspberry
- Apple and cinnamon
- Banana and nuts
Ingredients: Basic Muffin Recipe
- 1 1/2 pints self-raising flour
- 3/4 pint milk
- 1/2 pint white sugar
- 1/3 pint vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C (390F).
- In a bowl, thoroughly combine all of the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine all of the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and mix.
- Pour the batter into 24 paper cases (doubled-up paper cases to help them maintain their shape).
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean.
- Chocolate chip: Add 200g of chocolate chips. (To make double chocolate chip muffins, substitute some of the flour for drinking chocolate/cocoa powder. This should not change the baking time of the muffins.)
- Raspberry and blueberry: Add 400 grams of your chosen fruit.
- Apple and cinnamon: Add 1/2 pint of finely chopped apple and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Banana and nuts: Add 1/2 pint of mashed banana and 1/2 pint chopped nuts.
When to Add the Extra Ingredients
When making additions to the batter, e.g. fruit, nuts and chocolate, always add these in at the end, after you have combined the wet and dry ingredients. Fold the extras in carefully.
Cooking Time Adjustments
When adding fruit to a recipe it can increase the cooking time; it will vary depending on the density and type of fruit that you add, and how large you cut the chunks of fruit. You can test the muffins to see if they are done by inserting a toothpick into the centre of the muffin. When it comes out clean, your muffins are done!
Thank You for Reading
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, please comment below with which recipe you tried and how it turned out!
Share Your Opinion
Which of these would you most like to try?
© 2017 VerityPrice