L.M. Reid is an Irish writer who has published many recipe articles. She has a keen interest in creating delicious recipes and dinner ideas.
Brown Irish Soda Bread Recipe
This traditional brown soda bread recipe is quick and easy to make. I will show you how to create a delicious Irish bread from just a few basic ingredients. I have included step-by-step instructions with videos and my own photos.
- 450 grams wholemeal flour
- 350 ml buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon bread soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sesame seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Caraway seeds
Getting Everything Ready
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C, 400 degrees F or Gas Mark 6
- Take out three medium sized cake tins and add some grease around the edges using oil or margarine
Mixing the Flour
- Add the wholemeal flour to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the bread soda and salt, and mix together.
- Crack the egg into a smaller bowl, and stir in a little buttermilk.
- Add this to the flour with most of the buttermilk, and stir in well.
- Make sure there are no dry bits in the mixture.
- Stir until all is evenly mixed and the dough is of a sticky consistency.
- If it is too dry, mix in some more buttermilk.
- Using a large spoon, fill the tins with the bread mixture up to three-quarters full.
- Use a large spoon dipped in some water to smooth the top of the bread mixture.
- Add toppings such as sesame seeds or poppy seeds to the top of each cake tin.
Getting the Loaf in the Oven
Baking Irish Soda Bread
- Place in the oven, and cook for approximately 50 to 60 minutes.
- Test they are ready by inserting a knife into one of them. If it comes out dry, then they are cooked. If it is slightly wet, then cook for another 5 minutes.
- Take out the tray and leave for 5 minutes before you remove the bread.
- Leave to cool down before eating.
My Mother Making Irish Soda Bread
Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Alternative Names for Bread Soda
Baking soda, bread soda, and bicarbonate of soda are different names for the same thing.
- Australia: The term bicarbonate of soda is mostly used.
- United States: It is referred to as baking soda.
- Britain: It is called bicarbonate of soda.
- Ireland: We refer to it both as bread soda or bicarbonate of soda.