How to Make Croutons
Delicious Homemade CroutonsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Croutons are delicious in soups and salads, but did you know that you can make croutons at home?
Homemade croutons usually taste much better than packaged store kinds and they are easy to make using ingredients you probably already have.
You will need bread, butter, cheese, and some seasoning and spices. Making croutons at home isn't much more difficult than making toast.
So grab some bread and gather some spices and get ready to make a yummy, crunchy treat with these simple and easy to follow crouton making instructions.
Homemade Croutons Recipe
- 1 lb (2 cups) butter, (or margarine)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder, (optional)
- 1 tsp seasoned salt, (optional)
- 1 tsp ground white pepper, (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika, (optional)
*The amount of each spice and seasoning you will need will vary according to how much bread you are using. The amounts listed are for one regular sized loaf of french bread. Basically, you will need enough butter to coat all the bread pieces and enough seasoning for flavoring. Adjust the spice and seasoning amounts to taste.
- Any other spices and seasoning you may want can be added. You can also leave out any of the seasonings you don't want as well. The only necessary ingredient is the butter.
- Types of cheese other than Parmesan can be used instead. You will just want to make sure that whatever kind you use is finely grated.
- Just about any type of bread will work for croutons. It doesn't have to be bakery style bread either. Regular sandwich bread can also make great croutons.
- Making croutons is a way to extend the life of bread that would otherwise be thrown out or get too old to eat.
Longer Lasting Croutons
For croutons that last longer, make sure the middle of the pieces is good and crispy. If they are soft in the middle, they will get stale quicker.
- Slice the bread into pieces about one square inch or whatever size you want the croutons to be. Typically croutons are bite sized.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for a minute or two. Or you can melt the butter in a pan on the stove.
- Mix the spices, salt, pepper, and Parmesan into the butter. There isn't a precise amount needed. Add according to your taste preference. Approximately 1 teaspoon each of the spices and a 1/2 cup of the Parmesan.
- Pour the butter mixture over the bread pieces.
- Using your hands or a big spoon, mix the bread pieces until they are all thoroughly coated with the butter mixture. Add more butter and seasonings if you still have bread pieces that are dry.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Spread the bread pieces out on the baking sheet. If you have a lot, you may need more than one baking sheet.
- Bake the pieces for approximately 10-15 minutes. Take them out of the oven and flip them with a spatula or other utensil so one side doesn't get burnt or stuck to the pan.
- Put them back in the oven for about 10-15 more minutes (30 minutes total bake time). Take them out when they are golden brown and crispy.
- Let them cool and then sprinkle them on a salad or soup for a delicious topping.
How do you like your croutons?See results without voting
How tasty are these croutons?
Crispy and Delicious CroutonsClick thumbnail to view full-size
More by this Author
Using dry ice in drinks is fun and easy. Use dry ice to make smoking fruit drinks and cocktails, bubbling soda floats, and fogging hot drinks and punches
Mold Rice Krispies treats into fun shapes following these easy directions for shaping with your hands or with cookie cutters. There are tons of pictures of treat shapes for inspiration to create your own treat designs.
Liquids that glow in the dark and party drink recipe ideas. Make glowing milkshakes, fruit drinks, energy mix, fluorescent Jell-O, and even a prank glow drink.