How to Make and Fry a Puffy Puri
Puri/Poori: An Exotic Indian Breakfast Bread
Puri is a type of fried bread. The whole wheat flour is kneaded to a dough. This dough is spread like a pizza base and then fried in hot cooking oil. The process is very simple.
It's a treat for your eyes and tummy when made correctly. People often knead the dough improperly and spread it wrong, which frequently results in the puris absorbing too much oil.
There are simple tricks that I am going to share here to prepare perfect puffy puris.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup water, approximately
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cooking oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons oil, for greasing the dough
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a big bowl, add wheat flour, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Add half cup of water. Mix well with your fingers. Add the remaining water little by little until you form a dough. The dough should be thick and should not stick to your hands.
- In a deep frying pan, heat oil in medium flame.
- While the oil is getting ready, roll small balls of dough. Just about the size of a small lime. Grease oil, use a rolling pin to make small puris. The puri should be about the size of your palm. It should be a little thicker than phulka or tortillas.
- To check if the oil is ready, drop a pinch of the knead dough into the hot oil. If it fries and comes up immediately, the oil is ready.
- Carefully drop the rolled purity into the oil. Once the bottom part puffs up, turn the puri over to the other side. Fry for a minute until it turns golden brown.
- Use a strainer to take away impurities and place it on absorbent sheets for few seconds.
- Serve hot with potato curry.
- Instead of wheat flour, you could even use refined flour. But whole wheat flour is the best for puris.
- You can mix spinach paste into the wheat flour and knead the dough in the same way to make green puris. For this, you need to blanch the spinach leaves.
- You can even add a tablespoon of semolina/rava to the flour. This would also add to the taste and would help in getting a crispy layer on top.
Nutritional Information for Puris Roughly 4–4.5 Inches in Diameter
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 3 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|