As a child, Edwin's mom told him, "If you want to eat, you should cook it yourself." And that's exactly what he's been doing ever since.
Sometimes, banana bread can end up being too dry. To remedy this, people often add applesauce or yogurt to add moisture to the batter. Other people add extra banana, which often leads to soggy bread. In this recipe, we don't add anything other than bananas to make it moist. To prevent the bread from becoming too soggy, we drain the excess moisture from the fruit. This recipe will show you how to do it.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
up to 12 servings
Read More From Delishably
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 overripe large bananas
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted, then allowed to cool
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, to grease the loaf pan
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Freeze the overripe bananas overnight. Then thaw them out the following morning.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Grease a 10"x5" straight-edge loaf pan with vegetable oil.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Place the thawed bananas on a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and press with a spoon for about 10 minutes, but do not mash, to drain the liquid. This should yield about 1/2 cup of liquid. Transfer the liquid to a saucepan.
- Cook the liquid over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, or until it's reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Combine the bananas and reduced banana liquid into a bowl and mash it until smooth.
- Add the melted butter, eggs, sugar, walnuts, and vanilla to the banana mixture and mix well.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients (from step 3). Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for at least 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. Remove bread from the loaf pan and serve.
- Add other types of chopped nuts besides walnuts (1/4 to 1/2 cup).
- Use brown sugar instead of white sugar.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired before serving.
- Grease loaf pan using vegetable oil spray.