Rebecca is a retired special education teacher. She earned a master's degree at Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, GA.
Zucchini squash grows easily and prolifically, which means that home gardeners sometimes harvest more than they bargained for. It is truly the rabbit of the flora world. Home gardeners usually end up carting away wheel barrels full of zucchini to throw out near the end of the growing season.
Zucchini's reputation for prolific production has spawned oodles of recipes. There are recipes for stir-fry, casseroles, zucchini breads, and more. Don’t hide next time the doorbell rings and you see a neighbor with a basket or armful of zucchini. Just get cooking!
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini bread recipes are almost as abundant as the veggie itself. My favorite is a basic recipe that calls for cinnamon and nutmeg for the spices and chopped walnuts added to the batter. I use half white and half brown sugar for a bit of an autumn flair. A little lemon juice adds a very subtle tangy flavor. The zucchini flavor is there, but not overwhelmingly. Plenty of walnuts add a flavorful, nutty crunch.
I like adding a powdered sugar glaze sometimes to make it more dessert-like, but it is tasty as well without the glaze. Perfect for those fall holiday dinners and gatherings!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 40 min
1 loaf (10 to 12 slices)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup walnuts
Read More From Delishably
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash the zucchini and then grate it (unpeeled).
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Add oil, water, lemon juice, and grated zucchini.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes in the preheated oven.
Powdered Sugar Glaze
For each loaf of zucchini bread:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Combine the powdered sugar and milk. Mix well. Add more milk to reach desired consistency.
- Drizzle over the zucchini bread. This glaze is great for pound cake, too!
Bonus! A Zucchini Side Dish
I love to make a quick and easy veggie stir-fry with zucchini, onions, and sun-dried tomatoes. Just heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. Add thinly sliced zucchini and onions (Vidalia Sweets are nice). Salt and pepper the zucchini and onions. Toss in a big handful of sun-dried tomatoes and chopped fresh basil. Serve this tasty veggie stir-fry with a dusting of Parmesan cheese for a bit of an Italiano-gourmet dish that is quite delightful for an early fall lunch.