Kaili loves to cook—from comfort food to fine cuisine—and was the recipient of a silver medal in a food and wine matching competition.
World Nutella Day
Yes, there is such a thing. Ever since its inception in 2007, World Nutella Day has been celebrated annually on February 5th. This nod to all things Nutella was originally started by an American food blogger and has since been taken over by the brand itself.
Imagine waking up on such a joyous morning to find that you have a jar of Nutella on hand (whew!) but not enough flour to make muffins. Fear not, muffin lovers—cake mix to the rescue!
But first, let me tell you where I first encountered Nutella muffins.
My inspiration for these muffins began during a holiday in Venice, Italy. The magnificent Hilton Molino Stucky we stayed in actually had a "Piazzetta Nutella," where you could find all sorts of scrumptious Nutella creations. The menu listed crepes, hot chocolate and waffles, plus a dessert of the day. All this was available from 1:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. daily. During the off-season, when the Piazzetta is closed, you can still find Nutella treats in the Rialto lobby bar.
Fresh Nutella muffins are also a menu staple at breakfast in the Il Molino restaurant. This is where I began my love affair with Nutella muffins. I even brought a few home and stuck them in the freezer for a snowy day.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
One dozen large muffins
- 1 box cake mix (I recommend French Vanilla)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup water or milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (Canola is good and light)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 12 Tbsp Nutella
- 2 Tbsp chopped hazlenuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Using a fork, mix the cake mix, flour and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Break the eggs directly into the same bowl, then pour in the water (or milk) and vegetable oil and stir everything together until it is well mixed. Don't worry if it is slightly lumpy. Now stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin cup about half full, then spoon a generous amount of Nutella into each (about 1 Tbsp). Spoon some more batter on top until each muffin cup is almost full. Top with chopped hazelnuts (optional).
- Bake for about 20 minutes on the middle rack of your oven. They are done when the tops are nice and golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the side of the muffin (so you don't poke the Nutella filling) comes out dry.
- Let them cool on a rack for about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy while warm and the Nutella filling is slightly runny.
Did your kids enjoy these muffins?
Additional Cake Mix Muffin Recipes
Using cake mix to make muffins is so easy, and there are so many ways you can customize your muffins. Be sure to follow the directions provided for the Nutella muffin batter above by adding a little flour, baking powder and less liquid than is called for on the cake mix box. You want the batter to be a little thicker than a regular cake batter, so it can support things like Nutella, chocolate chips, fruit and other goodies.
Cake Mix Muffin Ideas
- Chocolate Muffins: Use chocolate cake mix and add one cup of chocolate chips.
- Lemon Poppyseed Muffins: Use lemon cake mix and add 1 Tbsp poppyseeds. Sprinkle a pinch more poppyseeds on top before baking.
- Strawberry Muffins: Use strawberry cake mix and fill the muffin cups half full. Place half a fresh sliced strawberry on the batter then top with more batter.
- French Raspberry Muffins: Use French vanilla cake mix and add a couple of fresh raspberries into the cups when half full, then top with more batter and garnish with another raspberry.
- S'more Muffins: Use chocolate cake mix and add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup mini marshmallows cut into halves. Fill muffin cups half full, then sprinkle on a layer of graham cracker crumbs and top with more batter.
What other cake mix muffin ideas come to mind? Let me know what your favorites are in the comments below.
© 2017 Kaili Bisson
Kaili Bisson (author) from Canada on June 03, 2020:
Hello Liza and you are welcome,
Nutella is one of my guilty pleasures. Well, maybe not so guilty... :-)
Liza from USA on May 28, 2020:
Who doesn't love Nutella. I have used Nutella in numerous baked goods. I have to try making this Nutella muffins. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Umesh Chandra Bhatt from Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, India on January 07, 2020:
Appears delicious. Must try sometime. Thanks.
Angel Harper on August 21, 2018:
Wow! That looks delicious and Nutella is my weakness - I'll definitely be trying this!
Kaili Bisson (author) from Canada on March 17, 2017:
I just made some more Nutella treats, so stay tuned for a new recipe I'm sure your daughter will enjoy!
FlourishAnyway from USA on March 17, 2017:
My daughter is a sucker for Nutella. This will definitely be tried! Yum!
Kaili Bisson (author) from Canada on March 09, 2017:
You are most welcome. I am hoping to post another Nutella recipe soon.
Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on February 16, 2017:
This sounds delicious and I like the idea of filling in Nutella in the muffins. Great idea and I would love to try this.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!
Kaili Bisson (author) from Canada on February 09, 2017:
Hi Alicia, you are so welcome. I just love Nutella, though I try to limit how much of it I eat...too easy to get carried away!
Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on February 08, 2017:
As soon as I saw the word "Nutella" in the title of this article I knew I had to read it! The muffins look delicious. I love the sound of the additions, too. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Kaili.
Kaili Bisson (author) from Canada on February 08, 2017:
Hi peachpurple...ha! Yes, and they are so good when they are warm and the Nutella is like hot fudge :-)
peachy from Home Sweet Home on February 08, 2017:
oh you are so clever my dear!
Nutella for the fillings, better than spreading on the bread itself!
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on February 08, 2017:
HI Kaili. I will maybe next month, when I head to Target.
Kaili Bisson (author) from Canada on February 08, 2017:
Hi Kristen. Glad you enjoyed this. Go grab some tins and get baking :-)
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on February 07, 2017:
Love this recipe. I love Nutella too. I would love to make them, when I get some muffin tins. Thanks for sharing.
Kaili Bisson (author) from Canada on February 07, 2017:
Hi Coffeequeeen and thank you for reading and leaving a comment. Cake mix muffins are a snap!
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on February 07, 2017:
Omg I love muffins, and these sound delicious. I'm definitely going to try making these!