Nutella Muffins Warm From the Oven
Did your kids enjoy these muffins?
World Nutella Day
Yes, there is such a thing. The tenth annual World Nutella Day was celebrated on February 5th this year, as it has been every year since its inception in 2007. This nod to all things Nutella was originally started by an American food blogger and has since been taken over by the brand itself.
Imagine waking up on such a joyous morning to find that you have a jar of Nutella on hand (whew!) but not enough flour to make muffins. Fear not, muffin lovers, cake mix to the rescue!
But first, let me tell you where I first encountered Nutella muffins.
They Even Used Nutella Paper Muffin Liners
Hilton Molino Stucky Venice
My inspiration for these muffins began during a holiday in Venice, Italy. The magnificent Hilton Molino Stucky we stayed in actually has a "Piazzetta Nutella" where you can find all sorts of scrumptious Nutella creations. The menu lists crepes, hot chocolate and waffles, plus a dessert of the day. All this is available from 1:00 pm until 10:00 pm daily. During the off season, when the Piazzetta is closed, you can still find Nutella treats in the Rialto lobby bar.
Fresh Nutella muffins are also a menu staple at breakfast in the Il Molino restaurant. And, this is where I began my love affair with Nutella Muffins. I even brought a few home and stuck them in the freezer for a snowy day.
Using Cake Mix for Cupcakes and Muffins
Each is a little different. You can easily use cake mix for cupcakes by following the directions on the box. Muffins, however, require a thicker batter, so you don't want to follow the directions on the box.
- 1 box cake mix, French Vanilla is nice
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup water or milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, Canola is good and light
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 12 Tbsp Nutella
- 2 Tbsp chopped hazlenuts, (optional)
Easy recipe and easy cleanupClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instructions for cake mix muffins
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Using a fork, mix the cake mix, flour and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Break the eggs directly into the same bowl, then pour in the water (or milk) and vegetable oil and stir everything together until it is well mixed. Don't worry if it is slightly lumpy. Now stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin cup about half full, then spoon a generous amount of Nutella into each (about 1 Tbsp). Spoon some more batter on top until each muffin cup is almost full. Top with chopped hazlenuts (optional).
- Bake for about 20 minutes on the middle rack of your oven. They are done when the tops are nice and golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the side of the muffin (so you don't poke the Nutella filling) comes out dry.
- Let them cool on a rack for about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy while warm and the Nutella filling is slightly runny.
The Most Important Ingredient
Preparing the Muffin Tins
I still like to do it the old fashioned way with a light coating of butter and flour. But, you can also use liners made with parchment paper or store-bought liners.
These Muffins Slide Right out of the Pans
Additional Cake Mix Muffin Recipes
Using cake mix to make muffins is so easy, and there are so many ways you can customize your muffins. Be sure to follow the directions provided for the Nutella muffin batter above by adding a little flour, baking powder and less liquid than is called for on the cake mix box. You want the batter to be a little thicker than a regular cake batter, so it can support things like Nutella, chocolate chips, fruit and other goodies. Here are some ideas:
1. Chocolate Muffins: Use Chocolate Cake Mix and add one cup of chocolate chips.
2. Lemon Poppyseed Muffins: Use Lemon Cake Mix and add 1 Tbsp poppyseeds. Sprinkle a pinch more poppyseeds on top before baking.
3. Strawberry Muffins: Use Strawberry Cake Mix and fill the muffin cups half full. Place half a fresh sliced strawberry on the batter then top with more batter.
4. French Raspberry Muffins: Use French Vanilla Cake Mix and add a couple of fresh raspberries into the cups when half full, then top with more batter and garnish with another raspberry.
5. S'more Muffins: Use Chocolate Cake Mix and add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup mini marshmallows cut into halves. Fill muffin cups half full, then sprinkle on a layer of graham cracker crumbs and top with more batter.
What other cake mix muffin ideas come to mind? Let me know what your favorites are in the comments below.
Nutrition information for Nutella Muffins
|Serving size: 1 Muffin|
|Calories from Fat||189|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 21 g||32%|
|Saturated fat 6 g||30%|
|Sugar 37 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Kaili Bisson