Vegan, Low-Sodium Biscotti Made With Whole-Wheat or Gluten-Free Flour
Vegan Biscotti Love
It is almost impossible to find a commercially produced vegan biscotti. They all contain either dairy, eggs, or both. I auditioned several internet recipes—all flops. Then, I stumbled upon "Cowgirl Biscotti" in Rip Esselstyn's book Plant Strong. I was in love. So, I tweaked, simplified, made the recipe more budget-friendly, and then proceeded to churn out batch after batch, changing it up, using different mix-ins and extracts. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray biscotti pan, or sheet pan, generously with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Tip: Slightly longer and narrower than a brownie pan, a biscotti pan measures 12x8x2-inches. I received mine as a gift, and find it very convenient and easy to use. Shaping the dough into a similar-sized rectangle on top of a sheet pan will also work.
2. In a large mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon or stiff spatula, cream together cashew butter and sugar. Whisk in water and vanilla.
3. Add flour of choice, baking soda, and LiteSalt. Using a wooden spoon or stiff spatula, stir till combined.
4. Add chocolate chips and pecans. Stir till evenly dispersed. Place dough into/onto prepared pan. If using a sheet pan, use spatula to form dough into 12x5-inch log. If using a biscotti pan, press dough with spatula to fill pan evenly.
5. First Bake
- If using wheat flour, bake for 25 minutes. If using gluten-free, bake for 30 min.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan.
- Invert onto a cutting board.
- Cool another 5 minutes.
- Use a serrated knife to slice into 12 biscotti. (Cut in half, then into fourths. Cut each fourth into 3 slices.)
6. Second Bake
- Place an oven-proof cooling rack on top of a sheet pan.
- Lay biscotti on rack.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Refrigerate up to a week, or freeze. Heat in microwave for 20 seconds before serving.
Tip: You do not have to use a layered cooling rack as instructed. You can achieve similar results using only a sheet pan, flipping the biscotti mid-bake.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Sugar 10 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 26 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Stacy Becker