Poptart à la You: How to Make Your Own Pocket Pastry From Scratch
I made this recipe after I tried out a cookie recipe I found online that didn't turn out at all—even after multiple tries. I managed to save it with an egg and some milk. It wasn't quite sweet enough to be a cookie, so I made it into a Poptart-type pastry. I always make it through step 3 and then wrap them individually in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge overnight. So, I'm not quite sure if baking them right away would cause them to react differently in the oven. If you make these and take better pictures than the ones I took, feel free to float your pictures my way, and I may put them on here.
WARNING: Out of the oven the jam will be EXTREMELY hot.
- 1 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 Egg
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Any Flavor of Jam
- 1/8 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract, (optional)
- Melt butter unless already soft. Add butter to a mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar. Mix with a wooden spood until all sugar is covered in butter. Add flour.
- Mix in flour with spoon for a little while. Then use your hands to mix thoroughly. Add 1 of the eggs. Mix it in thoroughly. Add milk and mix. If using vanilla, add now.
- Take the dough and put it on a cutting board. I didn't need flour but flour your surface f you feel the need. Separate dough into four pieces. Use a rolling pin to flatten out the dough. Add a tablespoon of jam (or a quarter of the jam if you don't have a measuring spoon) to the center. Wet your fingers and use them to put a small amount of water along the outside edges. Fold one side over to meet the edges of the other side like a dumpling. Use a fork to crimp the sides of the jam dumpling. Repeat with other dough sections set aside. (if you wanted to you could make the dumplings smaller and deep fry them after this step)
- Put other egg in a cup or bowl and brush over the top of the pastries. Sprinkle sugar over the top.
- Arrange on a foil lined cookie sheet. Sides shouldn't be touching but can be pretty close together. Put in the oven at 360 F for 25 minutes. You could eat the like this or put a variety of toppings from frosting to peanut butter. Enjoy!