L.M.Reid creates delicious recipes and gives step-by-step instructions with her own photos so you can learn how to make each recipe at home.
How to Make Banana Bread From Scratch
My recipe for banana bread is quick and easy to make—and it tastes delicious, too. It only takes about 45 minutes to bake. I have included step-by-step instructions with my own photos.
One of my secrets is to add some sugar to the bottom of the loaf tins before I pour in the mixture. Then I add a bit more sugar on top of the mixture before the loaf tins go in the oven. This technique gives my banana bread a crunchy, caramel like crust.
- 400g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 100g butter or margarine
- 175g white caster sugar
- 75g brown sugar
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- 2 medium eggs
- Two loaf pans: 8x4 inch (20x10 cm)
- Large mixing bowl
- Weighing scales
- Electric blender
- Wooden spoon
- Sharp knife
- Wire rack
Step 1: Prepare the Loaf Tins
- Preheat your oven to 180c for a fan oven or 160c/gas mark 4 conventional oven.
- Cover the bottom and sides of the baking pans with butter or margarine.
- Pour the brown sugar into one of the pans.
- Rotate and shake the pan to coat the butter in a thin layer of sugar. Pouring the excess into the second pan to do the same again.
- This will give you a crunchy caramel-like crust when cooked.
Step 2: Mix the Ingredients
- Pour the flour into the large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter to the mixture.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the caster sugar and remaining brown sugar evenly.
- Peel the bananas.
- Mash the bananas with a fork until smooth.
- Pour the banana puree into the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture resembles slightly lumpy baby food.
- Divide the mixture between the two loaf pans and spread evenly.
Step 3: Bake the Loaves
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- Check the loaves are cooked all the way through by inserting a sharp knife or skewer into the centre of the loaf. If it comes out clean, they are cooked.
- While still warm, place a plate on top of the pans and flip upside down together so the loaf slides out onto the plate.
- Place a clean tea towel over the cooling loaves to prevent them from drying out.
Banana Bread Recipe
Bananas as a Healthy Super Food
Eating bananas raw can be beneficial for your health. They are a rich source of protein and boost your energy. At the same time, they contain tryptophan. This is an amino acid that is a natural mood enhancer.
The beta-carotene the banana contains naturally converts within the body to vitamins A and C. This is beneficial for your immune system. It also contains vitamin B6.
Ways to Eat Bananas
Questions & Answers
Question: I'd love to try this recipe. Is there a way to print just the recipe out? Thank you
Answer: You could copy and paste the Banana bread recipe onto a word document and then print it out. But it is short enough so maybe it would be easier to write it down from the recipe. Good luck.
L M Reid (author) from Ireland on January 29, 2020:
Hello Cassie, yes I love the smell of baking bread and apple pie too
Cassie Johnson on November 07, 2019:
These recipes bring back memories of my mom,sister and grandmother cooking
L M Reid (author) from Ireland on August 19, 2019:
Hello Thelma, yes banana bread really has a unique taste. It is easy enough to make too. Thanks for dropping by.
Thelma Alberts from Germany and Philippines on June 07, 2019:
Yummy! I love banana bread. The longer you keep it, the tastier it becomes. When I travel to other countries, I usually make a loaf of banana bread to bring it with me for the travel. Thanks for sharing your banana recipe.