Delightful and Moist Banana Bread
My recipe for banana bread is quick and easy to make—and it tastes delicious too. It only takes about 45 minutes to bake. I have included step-by-step instructions with my own photos.
One of my secrets is to add sugar to the bottom of the loaf tins before I pour in the bread mixture. Then I add a bit more sugar on top of the mixture before the loaf tins go into the oven. This technique gives my dessert recipe a crunchy, caramel-like crust.
- 400g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 100g butter or margarine
- 175g white caster sugar
- 75g brown sugar
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- 2 medium eggs
- Two loaf pans: 8x4 inch (20x10 cm)
- Large mixing bowl
- Weighing scales
- Electric blender
- Wooden spoon
- Sharp knife
- Wire rack
Step 1: Prepare the Bread Tins
- Preheat your oven to 180c for a fan oven or 160c/gas mark 4 conventional oven.
- Cover the bottom and sides of the baking pans with butter or margarine.
- Pour the brown sugar into one of the pans.
- Rotate and shake the pan to coat the butter in a thin layer of sugar. Pouring the excess into the second pan to do the same again.
- This will give you a crunchy caramel-like crust when cooked.
Step 2: Mix the Ingredients
- Pour the flour into the large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter to the mixture.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the caster sugar and remaining brown sugar evenly.
- Peel the bananas.
- Mash the bananas with a fork until smooth.
- Pour the banana puree into the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture resembles slightly lumpy baby food.
- Divide the mixture between the two loaf pans and spread evenly.
Step 3: Bake the Loaves
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- Check the loaves are cooked all the way through by inserting a sharp knife or skewer into the centre of the loaf. If it comes out clean, they are cooked.
- While still warm, place a plate on top of the pans and flip upside down together so the loaf slides out onto the plate.
- Place a clean tea towel over the cooling loaves to prevent them from drying out.
Banana Bread Recipe
Bananas Are a Super Food
Eating bananas raw can be beneficial for your health. They are a rich source of protein and boost your energy. At the same time, they contain tryptophan. This is an amino acid that is a natural mood enhancer.
The beta-carotene the banana contains naturally converts within the body to vitamins A and C. This is beneficial for your immune system. It also contains vitamin B6.
Questions & Answers
Question: I'd love to try this recipe. Is there a way to print just the recipe out? Thank you
Answer: You could copy and paste the Banana bread recipe onto a word document and then print it out. But it is short enough so maybe it would be easier to write it down from the recipe. Good luck.