Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
A Casserole for Breakfast That Is Prepared the Night Before
I found this recipe in an old recipe book I had. When I saw it, I wondered why I haven't thought of it myself. It was easy and had all the ingredients I love and use for breakfast.
In this day and age when most women are out there in the workforce and still need to prepare a hearty breakfast for the family, this is the perfect remedy. The word "breakfast" when broken down is break-fast. The fast which has been since the night before needs to be broken so the body can be re-fueled in order to work properly for the rest of the day.
I know that now men also know how to cook and prepare breakfast if the wife has to start work earlier than he does, this is one that the husband/father will love. So it's good for everyone. I love to make cooking easy so everyone can do it. Even college students that live on their own and would love a good breakfast would have this simply because it's prepared the night before and simply put in the oven the next morning.
Also, it's a delicious little meal and the ingredients can be substituted for others that you might like more. Hope you give it a try, you will enjoy this, for sure.
Ingredients: Prepare the Night Before
- 6 slices break, whole wheat
- 1 pound ground pork sausage, seasoned with salt and pepper, browned, drained and crumbled
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups half and half
- to taste salt and pepper
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish with butter.
- Layer bread, sausage, and cheese in the dish.
- Mix the beaten eggs with mustard and half and half. Then season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour egg mixture over layers in the dish.
- Refrigerate uncovered casserole overnight.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes. If desired, add fried bacon strips to the top of the casserole, 5 minutes before baking time is complete.
Visual InstructionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
There are ways you can substitute the ingredients. For instance:
- Egg Beaters for real eggs
- Ham or bacon for the sausage
- Chicken or turkey sausage for the pork sausage
- Any other cheese that melts well for the cheddar cheese
- Any bread you like for the whole wheat bread
The aroma while this dish is baking is so delicious, it will awaken your families taste buds and have them waiting and willing to eat your breakfast.
Serve with coffee, milk for the kiddos and/or your family's favorite juice.