Tomato Pie Floridian Quiche Recipe
If your tomato plants are anything like mine, all the tomatoes seem to ripen at the same time. This year is no exception for me. Luckily, tomatoes are a versatile fruit (or vegetable depending on what team you’re on).
One of my favorite uses for all these tomatoes is a dish that my Mom has been making ever since I can remember. It's good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It's especially yummy with a side of sausage or bacon, and a tall glass of OJ. And, since I typically purchase the pre-made pie shells that come in quantities of 2, I make one for now, and freeze one for later. Without further ado, Tomato Pie Floridian!
Fresh picked garden veggies!
My wonderful helper!
- 1 pie shell, (can be pre-made in the refrigerated rolls or frozen if you prefer)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green Pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs, large
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- Put pie shell in pie dish.
- Saute onion, pepper, and garlic in butter.
- Beat eggs and stir in milk.
- Add cheese, salt, pepper, and sauteed vegetable mixture.
- Arrange one sliced tomato on bottom on pie shell.
- Pour egg mixture into pie shell.
- Arrange one sliced tomato on top of egg mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.