How to Make Whole Wheat Cheese Bread
Bread and Cheese: What's Not to Like?
This hearty loaf is great for sandwiches or a snack. It has full and nutty flavours of whole wheat accompanied by sharp cheddar cheese.
- 1 cup water, warm
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese, old/sharp
Want a Little Spice?
Add 1-2 jalapenos peppers seeded and finely chopped.
- In the measuring cup or another bowl, add the dry yeast to the hot tap water, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and margarine. Stir to mix.
- Add the yeast/water mix to the dry ingredients, and stir with a large wooden spoon to blend.
- When the dough is blended, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, sprinkle a little more flour on top of the dough, and knead for a couple of minutes.
- Flatten dough, sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese, roll together, and continue kneading another 1-2 minutes.
- Flatten dough again, add rest of cheese, reserving a little to sprinkle on top. Continue kneading 2 minutes more.
- Form into loaf shape, place in greased loaf pan, score top in several places, sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Leave in a warm place to rise 1-2 hours, until top of loaf rises above loaf pan edge about 1 inch.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place loaf on centre rack and bake 40-45 minutes.
- When done baking, remove from pan and place on rack to cool.
Place a slice in the toaster to enjoy a bit of toasted deliciousness.
© 2017 Wes Clark