Whole Wheat Lemon and Cheese Braid
Whole wheat lemon cheese braid
Soft and delicious
Made with a soft, sweet dough, this is a moist, cake-like bread with a cottage cheese and lemon filling. This is a great dessert to end a meal or a quick breakfast to kickstart your day.
- 1/4 cup Water, Warm
- 1/4 cup Plain yoghurt
- 4 1/2 Tbsp Liquid egg whites
- 3 Tbsp White sugar
- 3 Tbsp Margarine
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 cup White flour
- 2 1/4 tsp Dry yeast
- FILLING *
- 1 cup Cottage cheese
- 3 Tbsp White sugar
- 1 Tbsp Whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp Liquid egg white
- 1 Tbsp Plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp Grated lemon peel
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- GLAZE *
- 1/3 cup Icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp Milk
- In the measuring cup or another bowl, add the dry yeast to the warm tap water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and margarine. Stir to mix.
- Add the yeast/water mix to the dry ingredients, and stir with a large wooden spoon to blend.
- When the dough is blended, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, sprinkle a little more flour on top of the dough, and knead for 5 minutes.
- Let dough rest for about 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together ingredients for filling.
- On a sheet of parchment paper, use a floured rolling pin to roll dough into a rectangle approximately 9" x 12".
- Cut 12 slits on both sides of rolled dough 1" wide and 3" long.
- Spread filling down uncut centre of rolled dough, and fold strips at angle over the filling, alternating from side to side.
- Lift parchment paper with finished braid onto a baking sheet, and set aside to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- When finished baking, remove from pan and place on wire cooling rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients and apply to cooled cake.
Icing instead of a glaze
If you prefer an icing to a glaze, add an additional 1/3 cup of icing sugar to the glaze mix and drizzle mixture on top of cooled cake.
Steps to successClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2017 Wes Clark