How to Make Whole Wheat Hamburger and Hotdog Buns From Scratch
Hotdog and hamburger buns
Way better than store bought
These homemade whole wheat buns have a better taste and texture than anything you can buy in the store.
- 1/4 cup Water, Warm
- 1/4 cup Plain yoghurt
- 4 1/2 Tbsp Liquid egg white
- 3 Tbsp White sugar
- 3 Tbsp Margarine
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 cup White flour
- 2 1/4 tsp Dry yeast
- TOPPING *
- 1 Tbsp Liquid egg white
- 1 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- In the measuring cup or another bowl, add the dry yeast to the warm tap water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients and margarine. Stir to mix.
- Add the yeast/water mix to the dry ingredients, and stir with a large wooden spoon to blend.
- When the dough is blended, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, sprinkle a little more flour on top of the dough, and knead for 5 minutes.
- Let dough rest for about 10 minutes.
- Using a kitchen scale, cut dough into a sections weighing 3 oz or 85 grams each. And roll into balls.
- FOR HAMBURGER BUNS: Press balls flat with palms of hands to form 3-4" circles, and place close to each other on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- FOR HOTDOG BUNS: Roll balls into 6" long cylinders, and place close to each other on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Set baking sheet and buns aside to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Brush tops of risen buns with liquid egg white, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Preheat oven to 375 F and bake 20 - 25 minutes until tops are golden brown.
- When done remove buns from pan, and place on wire rake to cool.
Steps to successClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2017 Wes Clark