Alyssa loves sharing her family's favorite recipes with the world. She is a wife and a mom who enjoys drinking copious amounts of coffee.
Breadsticks are one of my favorite foods. I could eat them with almost any meal.
At the beginning of the year, my husband and I decided to buy a bread maker—and I set out on a mission to never buy bread again. So far, I've achieved that goal, making many types of bread.
Recently, I was craving breadsticks, more specifically, Pizza Hut breadsticks. They are the pinnacle of breadsticks in my humble opinion. My teenager, however, prefers Marco's Pizza Cheesy Bread. In the spirit of compromise, I thought I would try my hand at making a combination of the two. The result is the recipe below.
These breadsticks are delicious right out of the oven, and they maintain their tastiness the next day cold. They were such a hit that my son asked me to make them again the next day for dinner.
The bread machine makes everything a little easier and faster, but it is not required for this recipe. If you don't have one, you can simply mix the ingredients by hand and allow the dough to rise before moving on to step four.
Read More From Delishably
A word of caution: These breadsticks are addictive and will quickly become a family favorite. Enjoy!
For the dough:
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
For the seasonings and toppings:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese
- mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- If you have a bread machine, place the kneading paddle into the bread machine pan. (Note: If you don't have a bread machine, mix the dough ingredients by hand and then proceed to step 4.)
- Combine the ingredients in the bread machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. Mine calls for liquid ingredients first, followed by dry ingredients, and yeast last.
- Carefully lock the pan into the bread machine. Set for dough and allow your machine to do its thing.
- Once the dough is finished, place it on a floured surface.
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Roll the dough into an even, rectangular shape, about the size of your cookie sheet. You'll want it to be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Place the rectangle onto your cookie sheet. Cover the pan with a towel and allow dough to rise for 30-45 minutes in a warm place. I like to preheat my oven (in this case, it'll be for 475 degrees Fahrenheit), and I leave my pan right on top of my stove.
- While the dough is rising, prep your seasonings: Set butter in a pan on the warm stove to soften. In a small bowl, combine the Italian seasonings and garlic powder; then add the spice mix to the butter.
- Once the dough has risen, use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice the dough into breadsticks. Spread the seasoned butter mixture over the breadsticks and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the breadsticks from the oven. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Add a few handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese if desired. Pop the breadsticks back in the oven and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with a side of marinara sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
© 2022 Alyssa