Baked Beans Done in the Slow Cooker
The Best Baked Beans
These are the best baked beans I've made yet. They are full of flavor and take very little effort. Just make sure you make enough for everyone. This recipe along with a toasted bun fed four of us. There was even enough left over for lunch the next day. It's an easy way to have a complete meal without heating up the whole house.
Supplies Needed For Making Beans
- Slow Cooker, the best way to cook beans. Low and slow.
- Large mixing bowl
- Wisk or mixing spoon
- Measuring spoons and cups
- A large container that pours liquid ( for saving the drained bean liquid
- All ingredients listed below
- A heat safe container for extra fat after frying bacon
Beans In The Slow-Cooker
Baked Beans Ingredients
- 2 Cups White Beans, Dry, soaked over night
- 1/2 KG Pkg Bacon or Salt Pork, Cook just until brown, large pieces
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Dry Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Molasses
- 2 1/2 Cups Saved Bean Water, Drained from soaking beans
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup, Added Later, when almost done
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Chopped
- Using the large mixing bowl, start by adding your beans and water. Rinse swish around and drain. Then add water till the level is just over the top of the beans. It will take approximatly six cups. Allow them to soak over night.
- Start by warming a fry pan on the stove and cooking the pieces of bacon. Cook only until it's brown, not crispy. Turn off the heat and drain into the heat safe container.
- Place the slow-cooker on the counter, plug in and turn on high. Measure out 2 cups of the drained liquid form the beans and use it to make your sauce. Use the porable container or large measuring container to mix the ingredients for the sauce.
- Using a wisk mix all ingredients together with the bean liquid. Set it aside. Now you are going to layer everything into the slow-cooker. Start with some of the beans, onion and bacon. Repeat until all items are in the cooker. Pour the mixed liquid over everything. Cover and cook for 4 hours, than turn to low. Stir and turn down to low and cook for 2 more hours. Once in awhile come back and stir.
- Once everything has been cooking for at least 51/2 to 6 hours add the mix of ketchup and 1/2 cup, more bean water. We add because we like it to have more sauce. If you like it dryer don't add this extra liquid.
- Cook approximatly one more hour. Some types of beans take longer to cook than others. Toast buns or bread and serve as a meal.
Baked Beans And Bacon
If you don't have bacon you can use salt pork. If your bacon is really fatty, separate into two pieces and trim off some of the extra fat. To make a darker richer flavor add 1 Tbsp of molasses to the ketchup and water you add 1 hour before the beans are finished cooking. I used left over buns for the toast in this recipe. If you like to have a different bread you can also substitute 1/2 a bagel.
Do You Want A Hungry Man Dinner?
If you want to turn this meal into a hungry man meal you can add these foods.
- Beef Sausage and eggs
- Hash browns and eggs
- Beef Sausage, eggs and hash browns.
- Smokey's and eggs
- Smokey's and hash browns
Only add the hash browns if your not on a carb restricted meal plan.
We love Baked Beans
This is one of my family's favorite baked bean recipes. I normally bake them in a roaster in the oven. This recipe can be made either way. In the summer I cook in the slow-cooker to keep from heating up the house. Cooking beans this way allows the flavors to blend together. Once you make brown beans in the slow-cooker, you will never eat canned brown beans again.
From my house to your's: May this food feed and nourish you. Enjoy!
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Terrie Lynn