I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
Spicy fried chickpeas make a delightful tea time snack. They are so delicious that once you start eating them you won't be able to stop. As they are packed with nutrients, they can be served to people of all ages. Chickpeas have abundant fiber, iron, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Include them in your diet to help strengthen your immune system and promote good health.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
A bowl full of spicy fried chickpeas snacks
- 2 cups chickpeas or garbanzo beans, soaked in water for 6-7 hours or soaked overnight.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chat masala
- 1/4 teaspoon amchur powder or dry mango powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak garbanzo beans in water for 6-7 hours or overnight.
- Strain them. Spread them on a cotton cloth for 2-3 hours.
- Take red chili powder, salt, dry mango powder, and chat masala in a mixing bowl. Mix them. Keep aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Drop 2-3 fistful of chickpeas into the medium hot oil. In the beginning, they settle down on the bottom. After some time they start coming up to the surface. Finally, all the chickpeas become light and start floating on the top.
- Turn them occasionally and regulate the flame for uniform frying. As they are soaked for a long time, they take longer to become crunchy inside. Frying a batch may take about 8-10 minutes.
- You will feel the crispiness of chickpeas while turning them. Once they are light and fully crispy, take them out and place them on an absorbent paper towel to get rid of the excess oil.
- Repeat the same for frying all chickpeas. Keep them aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the spice mix little by little on the chickpeas and toss them. Ensure that each chickpea is coated with an equal amount of spice mix.
- Spicy fried chickpeas snacks are ready to munch. Serve it in a bowl to children after coming from school or to elders as a teatime snack. It is a healthy in-between-meals snack too. Happy munching!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on August 22, 2017:
Thanks for your lovely comments. Yeah.. it is a yummy snack. It is healthy too. Make them and munch whenever you desire!
RTalloni on August 22, 2017:
These look yummy! Thanks for sharing your method in a nicely done hub. I've been wanting to do more with garbanzos and hope to try this soon.