How to Make Spicy Fried Chickpeas (Garbanzo Bean Snacks)
Spicy Fried Chickpeas or Garbanzo Bean Snacks
How You Can Make Spicy Fried Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) at Home
Spicy fried chickpeas make a delightful teatime snack. They are so delicious that you will go on munching them. As they are packed with nutrients, they can be served to people of all age groups. Chickpeas have abundant fiber, iron, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Include them in your diet to help strengthen your immune system and to promote good health.
For making these crunchy snacks, you have to soak chickpeas or garbanzo beans in water for 6-7 hours or overnight. Strain them. Spread them on a cotton cloth for 2-3 hours for drying.
Mix red chili powder, salt, dry mango powder (amchur powder), and chat masala powder in a bowl. Keep aside.
Heat oil for deep frying. Drop 2-3 fistful of dried chickpeas into the hot oil. Start out with the heat on medium-high. While frying, stay a little bit away from the oil; you don't want to get burned. Rarely, one or two beans may burst inside the oil. This step is just to be careful. Regulate the fire occasionally to control the high heat. Turn them often to ensure uniform frying.
In the beginning, the chickpeas will settle on the bottom. After some time, they will float to the surface. Continue frying further on a medium-low fire until all chickpeas come to the surface and are crunchy. Fry them a bit longer to ensure that they're crispy on the inside. It takes about 8-10 minutes to fry a batch. You should be able to feel the crispiness when you move them around with a ladle. Remove and place the chickpeas on an absorbent paper towel to get rid of any extra oil.
Repeat the same for the next batch frying. Collect the fried chickpeas in a bowl. Keep aside for 2-3 minutes. Now, sprinkle the spice mix on the fried chickpeas. Add spice mix little by little and toss the chickpeas, so that each of them are coated equally with the spices.
Spicy fried chickpeas or garbanzo beans is ready to munch. Serve them in a small bowl to children as an after-school snack or to elders with a cup of hot tea or coffee. You can enjoy eating them anywhere and anytime!
- 2 cups chickpeas or garbanzo beans, soaked in water for 6-7 hours or soaked overnight.
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chat masala
- 1/4 tsp amchur powder or dry mango powder
- oil for deep frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spicy Fried Chickpeas or Garbanzo Bean Snacks
- Soak garbanzo beans in water for 6-7 hours or overnight.
- Strain them. Spread them on a cotton cloth for 2-3 hours.
- Take red chili powder, salt, dry mango powder, and chat masala in a mixing bowl. Mix them. Keep aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Drop 2-3 fistful of chickpeas into the medium hot oil. In the beginning, they settle down on the bottom. After some time they start coming up to the surface. Finally all the chickpeas become light and start floating on the top.
- Turn them occasionally and regulate the flame for uniform frying. As they are soaked for long time, they take longer to become crunchy inside. Frying a batch may take about 8-10 minutes.
- You will feel the crispiness of chickpeas while turning them. Once they are light and fully crispy, take them out and place on an absorbent paper towel to get rid of the excess oil.
- Repeat the same for frying all chickpeas. Keep them aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the spice mix little by little on the chickpeas and toss them. Ensure that each chickpea is coated with an equal amount of spice mix.
- Spicy fried chickpeas snacks is ready to munch. Serve it in a bowl to children after coming from school or to elders as a teatime snack. It is a healthy in-between meals snack too. Happy munching!
Nutritional Information of Spicy Fried Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 24 g||8%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 6 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|