Charles loves to cook and enjoys trying new recipes every day. He specializes in recreating gourmet comfort food.
Nostalgia in a Bowl
In my opinion, there's nothing better than a steaming hot bowl of chili con carne on a cold winter evening. As Jack Frost rattles at the windows, the trusty Crock-Pot is sitting comfortably on the counter with its belly full of meat, beans, and spices, quietly snubbing its nose at frosty old Jack.
In the years following my mother's passing, I've put together a wonderful version of her chili that I think would have had her approval. This turkey version of chili con carne is nearly a one-pot dish. Aside from sauteing the turkey, garlic, peppers, and onions, everything else gets thrown in the crock to simmer and allow the flavors to gently meld together. I hope you enjoy my version of mom's chili con carne.
Read More From Delishably
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can northern white beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup water
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove chopped fine
- 1 packet McCormick chili seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Add the olive oil and ground turkey to a skillet. Saute until no longer pink. Transfer the meat to a Crock-Pot.
- In the same skillet, saute the peppers and onions on medium heat until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute with the peppers and onions for 1 minute. Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to the Crock-Pot.
- Drain and rinse the corn and beans and add to the Crock-Pot.
- Add the diced tomatoes and juice to the Crock-Pot.
- Add the water, bouillon cube, and remaining spices to the Crock-Pot.
- Stir ingredients to mix thoroughly and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8. Stir again halfway through cooking.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and cornbread. Enjoy!