Cooking and gardening are just some of my hobbies. My passion is sharing my produce and knowledge with others.
Nothing tastes better on crisp fall nights than a piping hot bowl of chili soup. This is my favorite chili recipe to make in the late summer or early fall when temperatures start to fall, but my summer garden is still in production. The sweetness from the cherry tomatoes and the spiciness of the hot peppers balance each other well in this fresh twist on a classic chili recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
About 10 bowls of soup
- olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon coriander
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, cut in half
- 1 sweet bell pepper, diced or chopped
- 1 can tomato juice
- 2 cups elbow macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 1 can chili beans, undrained
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place jalapeño pepper halves and tomatoes on cookie sheet. Spread cherry tomatoes out into a single layer. Drizzle olive oil over the peppers and tomatoes. Roast for 15–20 minutes, until tomatoes are soft.
- While that is roasting, in a large skillet cook beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked. Drain the meat. Season with salt and pepper. Add chili powder, cumin, and coriander to meat, stir and cook for 1–2 minutes.
- Place the roasted jalapeño peppers in a food processor and give it a quick chop (I pulsed for 1–2 seconds). Add the tomatoes to the food processor and again give it a quick chop until at the desired sized (I again only pulsed for 1–2 seconds so that it was still chunky).
- In a large saucepan or stockpot add the meat, roasted tomatoes and peppers, bell pepper, and tomato juice. Heat to boiling over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, add the macaroni and chili beans, cook at a low boil 7–10 minutes, stirring frequently, until macaroni reaches the desired texture and beans are heated through.
- Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice. Give it a quick taste and adjust accordingly.
Steps Four and Five
Ways to Top your Chili
- For sweeter chili: Drizzle in some honey or sprinkle in some sugar.
- For spicier chili: Add some cayenne pepper, hot sauce, or diced jalapeno peppers.
- For a more savory and creamier chili: Add a spoonful of sour cream, give it a stir, then top it with shredded cheese.
© 2017 Mariah Fromme