Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Mouthwatering Chickpea Vegetable Cutlets
Chickpeas are a great source of protein as well as various vitamins and minerals that help boost our immune system. Dishes made with chickpea are not only healthy, but they are delicious and filling, too.
These cutlets are crunchy and appetizing. I served them hot with tomato sauce for breakfast. You can serve them with a yogurt dip, as well.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 heaped cup chickpeas (garbanzo beans), soaked in water overnight, strained, coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas, coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced or grated
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon green chili, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 bread slices, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- oil for shallow-frying, 1/2 teaspoon for each cake
- 2 tablespoons whole fresh green peas
- Wash the chickpeas in water. Soak them in fresh water for about 8 to 10 hours (or overnight).
- Strain the soaked chickpeas. Pulse them in a mixer to get a coarse paste. No need to add water while grinding.
- Add the chickpea paste to a bowl. Add coarsely ground fresh green peas, crushed ginger, garlic, chopped green chilies, grated carrots, chopped coriander leaves, chopped onions, broken bread slices, whole green peas, red chili powder, and salt.
- Mix well and then taste. Adjust the salt and chili powder if needed, according to your taste.
- Take a lemon-sized portion of dough and shape it into a ball. Press it a little to make a patty (cutlet). Make 4 to 6 such patties. Keep aside.
- Heat a pan for shallow-frying. Add some oil to the pan. Place the cutlets on the pan near each other.
- Keep the heat at medium-high. Add a few drops of oil on top of the cutlets. Cook them until they become golden brown on the bottom.
- Flip each one. Add a few drops of oil on the topside. Roast the other side also until golden brown.
- Now they should be crunchy. Transfer them to a serving dish. Repeat the same for making all the cutlets.
- Serve them hot with tomato sauce or yogurt dip. Enjoy eating these healthy and mouthwatering appetizers!