Black Bean Cocoa Chili
Delicious and Satisfying
On a cold winter night, you need a hot, comforting, and filling meal. This chili will light up your taste buds, nourish you, and warm you.
What makes this particular chili special is its smoky-sweet depth, accented with sun-dried tomatoes and flavored with bourbon. It is quick and easy to prepare, and it's a very forgiving recipe if you are new to cooking.
- 2 lbs. ground beef pork or turkey
- 1 Vidalia onion (or other low-sulfur sweet onion), chopped
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. chipotle powder
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 oz. bourbon (I prefer Knob Creek Smoked Maple)
- 1 (16-oz) can black beans
- 8 oz. sun-dried tomatoes, soaked
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 oz. Louisiana hot sauce (I prefer Tabasco brand)
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in water overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pot over high heat. Add a drizzle of oil when the pot is hot.
- Saute the onion until it is browned.
- Add the meat and stir it in, breaking it up and mixing in onion.
- Stir in the minced garlic. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, black beans, and bourbon.
- Lower the heat and simmer until meat is thoroughly cooked, and onions and tomatoes are tender.
- Add spices and hot sauce. Stir in thoroughly and allow to simmer for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving suggestion: Serve with a crusty, buttered bread, chunks of room-temperature sharp cheddar, and either a bitter pale ale or Shiraz.
This chili is even better served with a crusty, buttered bread, chunks of room-temperature sharp cheddar, and either a bitter pale ale or Shiraz.— David A. Porter
What makes this chili unique
The complexity of flavors in this chili, combined with the simplicity of preparation, will make this chili a hit with your guests.
Questions & Answers
© 2019 David A Porter