I love writing and creating in the kitchen, especially chili, curry, stews, fruit and vegetable purees, coffee beverages, and smoothies.
Delicious and Satisfying
On a cold winter night, you need a hot, comforting, and filling meal. This chili will light up your taste buds, nourish you, and warm you.
What makes this particular chili special is its smoky-sweet depth, accented with sweet red peppers, and flavored with cocoa and bourbon. The complexity of flavors in this chili will make it a hit with your guests. Also it is quick and easy to prepare, and it's a very forgiving recipe if you are new to cooking.
Navitas Organic Cacao Powder
- 2 lbs. ground beef pork or turkey
- 1 Vidalia onion (or other low-sulfur sweet onion), chopped
- 1 sweet bell red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. chipotle powder
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 oz. bourbon (I prefer Knob Creek Smoked Maple)
- 1 (16-oz) can black beans (optional)
- 16 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 oz. Louisiana hot sauce (I prefer Tabasco brand)
Read More From Delishably
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pot over high heat. Add a drizzle of oil when the pot is hot.
- Saute the onion and red pepper until browned.
- Add the meat and stir it in.
- Stir in the minced garlic. Add the black beans, cocoa, and bourbon.
- Lower the heat and simmer until meat is thoroughly cooked, and onions and tomatoes are tender.
- Add spices and hot sauce. Stir in thoroughly and allow to simmer for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
I prefer to add the spices toward the end of cooking. This allows the flavors to blend, but keeps the spice flavors bright and vibrant.
Serve with a crusty, buttered bread, chunks of room-temperature sharp cheddar, and either a bitter pale ale or Shiraz
© 2019 David A Porter