Best Spring Water Companies in America
The Mystery of Adobe Springs and Noah's Spring Water
The brand name "Noah's Spring Water" should make one feel confident in its product since Noah of the Old Testament survived a storm and 40 days of flooding with his family in an ark brimful of animals. They even found dry land and created a new community.
Despite the Old Testament accounts, one consumer was less than confident in the company that makes this product. This is because the source of the water was vague and hard to find—if it indeed existed at all. There was mention in the complaint made of Adobe Springs in California.
Having just stumbled into the grocery store conversation, I was intrigued and decided to follow up. I enjoy cooking with spring water and wondered: just where do our related purchases originate?
Beverage Marketing, a research and consulting company reported that in 2016, soda was bumped to second place when bottled water took its spot as America’s Most Popular Drink.— NBC Affiliate, WLTZ News, March 10, 2017
A Long Journey to Water
Personally, I feel that I had to search too much for consumer information that should be listed on a company's website.
A couple of real estate companies in California listed related information, leading me finally to the U.S. Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
Many real estate companies offer a large amount of useful information on their websites and are as good as encyclopedias, census reports, and almanacs that describe the cities and towns of our country.
GNIS lists the Adobe Springs/Noah's Water in San Diego County, California, at the following coordinates:
- Latitude: 33.3952215
- Longitude: -116.6966652
I also found Adobe Springs on a map, although it is not near any other water that I can see. In fact, Adobe Springs is a tiny dot on the map under a marker generated by Google. It really is not marked with a name.
The springs are said to be at or near Beauty Mountain and just off Sweetwater Canyon Road. This road is east from Route 79, from where Chihuahua Valley Road runs eastward to intersect with Sweetwater Canyon Road. You turn right or south at that intersection onto Sweetwater Canyon Road and go about 3 miles. The springs are supposed to be right there.
The springs' geographic feature ID is 238431. The map makes it look tiny and isolated. I wonder if the springs are dried up? However, this is not the only Adobe Springs in California.
The Mystery Expands
To muddy the waters further, California has three (3) springs named Adobe Springs, one near Modesto in Western Stanislaus County (see the next section, below). Another is located between San Diego County and Stanislaus County. All three locations are mountainous and have no mail delivery.
Where in the world is Carmen "San-Diego" with our Adobe Springs?
A bottling company; and another Adobe Springs, just 19 miles off I-5, west of Patterson, California, near the San Francisco Bay Area.
Is Adobe Springs the Best?
Magnesium content is important to both heart health and the taste of water. Adobe Springs operations is treated to a full webpage at the Magnesium Online Library.
The interesting museum page takes readers directly to Noah's Water website. In fact, the Magnesium Online Library is entirely about the company and includes some research papers about the various waters found there.
We see on the library website that the springs are active, providing 75 million gallons of spring water every year. It contains 110 mg/L magnesium (four times the UN's WHO standard) and is, therefore, one of the most heart-healthy spring waters in the nation.
However, water from Adobe Springs is not on any Best or Healthiest list of waters that I can find thus far. This local beverage is used for more than one brand of bottled water, as seen below:
- Location: Seven-Up bottling plant in Modesto CA: Noah's Spring Water, sealed in cans and bottles.
- Location: Somewhere in or near Palo Alto CA, farther to the west of Modesto: "hiOsilver" Oxygen Water, bottled in glass. The water is oxygenated. In 2013, the name changed to "O2Cool Oxygen Water."
The Adobe Springs nearest Modesto, California is located 19 miles east of I-5, but west of Patterson CA. See the map below. There is no mail delivery and or school system in this area, and the only travel mode found is the semi-truck or tanker-truck.
None of the three Adobe Springs can be visited and business must be done by companies seeking bulk water shipments at the Patterson springs.
A spring is the result of an aquifer being filled to the point that the water overflows onto the land surface.— U.S. Government; water.usgs.gov
The Water Sommelier
During the late 2010s, restaurants began hiring certified drinking water experts called "water sommeliers." They are as important as their wine counterparts.
Top 10 Best Spring Waters in America
The following are the best quality drinking waters, according to Fox News on August 24, 2012. Fox has not yet announced a new list, but Reviews.com has named their favorites for 2017 in a list further below.
Fox News Best Brands
- Evian spring water
- Fiji artesian water
- Gerolsteiner Sparkling Mineral Water, spring water, Germany
- Ferrarelle Naturally Sparkling Water, spring water, Italy
- Perrier spring water, France
- San Pellegrino spring water, Italy
- Mountain Valley Spring Water - From the hill country between the Glazypeau and Cedar Mountains in Arkansas. Elvis Presley and John Lennon used it for its medicinal powers. I like the taste All United States Presidents from Calvin Coolidge to Bill Clinton served this water in the White House. The super racehorse Secretariat also drank this water.
- Ty Nant, spring water, Wales, UK
- Volvic, spring water, France
- Icelandic Glacial, spring water with a 0 carbon footprint. Distributed in the USA by Anheuser-Busch.
Directions to the Free Spigot
Take the Diablo Grande Parkway exit from I-5, go about 800 feet, and turn right on Del Puerto Canyon Rd. Then go about 18.6 miles (1.5 miles or so past Frank Raines Park) and it will be at 19,000 Del Puerto Canyon Rd, on the left.
Reviews.com's Best Fluoride-Free Brands
Best Flavor, Ingredient/Nutritional Content, and Packaging in 2017
- Resource by Nestle, The Healthy Hydration CompanyTM: Best in all categories.
- Fji Water, the one in the square bottle.
- Crystal Geyser, often very cheap at discount stores, so this is the best budget water.
- Evian: best for mineral content and related taste.
- Volvic: The French runner up to Evian.
(Scource: Reviews.Com at reviews.com/bottled-water/ Retrieved May 1, 2017.)
Popular waters in Europe are different in flavor than are the most popular brands in America.
Mountain Valley Company
Berkeley Spring WV International Water Tasting
Sponsors of this event say that it is the largest "water tasting" event in the whole world. The favorites in two categories in the 2013 and 2017 competitions are listed below. Again, most are sparking waters.
Best Bottled Waters 2013
- Canadian Gold Artesian Water: Marchand, Manitoba, Canada
- Agana Rainwater: Buda, Texas
- Denton Spring Water: North East, Maryland
- Eldorado Natural Spring Water: Eldorado, Colorado
- Kiowata: Longford, Kansas
Best Sparkling Waters 2013
- (Tied) Touch Sparkling Mineral Water: Marchand, Manitoba and Celvik Dobri Kiseljak: Tesanj, Bosnia
- American Summits Natural Spring Water: Clark, Wyoming
- Puyehue: Osono, Chile
- (Tied) Antipodes Whakatane: New Zealand and Jackson Springs Natural Premium Spring Water: Manitoba, Canada
Best Bottled Waters 2017
- (Tied) Zaros Natural Water: Crete; and AlphaPure Springs Water: Ocala, Florida
- (Tied)Artesia: Crystal Falls, Michigan and Canadian Gold Artesian Water: Marchand MB, Canada (First Place in 2013)
- Svalbaroi Polar Iceberg Water: Longyearbyen, Norway
- Planet H2O Natural Artesian Water: Knoxville, TN
- Whistler Water, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Best Sparkling Waters 2017
- (Tied) Tesanjski Kiseljak: Tesanj, Bosnia and Touch Sparkling Mineral Water: Marchand MB, Canada (also Number One in 2013)
- Otaki Reserve: Otakiri, Bay of Plenty NZ
- Aqua Nobel Carbonated Water: Morap, Sweden
- Oro Luxury Water: Vizianius, Macedonia
- Antipodes Sparkling Water: Whakatane, NZ (Number Four in 2013)
- http://travel.cnn.com/worlds-best-drinking-water-232371. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- berkeleyspringswatertasting.com/winners. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Patty Inglish MS