I'm a writer and recent college grad with a degree in religion studies and communication.
Low-Calorie Hot Chocolate
Conventional hot chocolate or hot cocoa can often be a health nightmare because a typical cup can come in at well over 100 calories per serving. However, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a delicious cup of cocoa. In fact, cocoa itself is incredibly healthy, being high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Unfortunately, many of these health benefits are obscured by the refined sugars, fat, calories, and often questionable ingredients in commercial hot chocolate preparations.
The recipe I've shared below will allow you to take full advantage of cocoa's many health benefits without sacrificing your waistline. All of the ingredients in this recipe are naturally calorie-free, with the exception of the cocoa, bringing the total calorie count to a mere 20 calories. It's also vegan and sugar-free. Enjoy it any time of day—I find it (sometimes) satisfies my cravings for dessert after dinner as well.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup water
- About 2 packets of stevia, roughly equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar; adjust amount to taste
- Dash of salt, sea salt is best
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or peppermint extract, optional
- Combine cocoa, stevia, and salt in heatproof mug and set aside.
- Microwave water on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Slowly add hot water to dry ingredients, mixing constantly.
- Add vanilla, peppermint, or other extract of choice for added flavor!