Tasty Starbucks Drinks Without Coffee or Caffeine
Some of us don't like the taste of coffee. That's okay, although I must say, you're missing out! Here are non-coffee beverages that you will enjoy at Starbucks. Almost all of them are also caffeine-free, but the three exceptions are clearly marked. Let's start with the hot drinks.
One of the most popular non-caffeinated drinks, the traditional hot chocolate is composed of chocolate syrup, vanilla, and milk, topped off with whipped cream. It is the most appropriate drink to battle the cold winter!
- White Hot Chocolate: A creamier variation of the hot chocolate flavored with white chocolate syrup.
- Zebra Hot Chocolate: Flavored with a mix of white and regular chocolate syrups. The ideal hot cocoa variation if you don't like to be overwhelmed by the sweetness of regular chocolate.
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate: Flavored with chocolate and peppermint syrups. Contrary to popular belief, peppermint hot chocolates and mochas are not seasonal. You can get it them all year long.
- Nutella Hot Chocolate: Traditionally flavored with chocolate and hazelnut syrups. It's tasty though it might not exactly taste like Nutella. If you get a zebra hot chocolate with hazelnut, that might be closer to the flavor!
You can always add peppermint syrup to these variations—although it might not go well with hazelnut hot cocoas.
Which drinks do you prefer?
Steamers or Creamers
These beverages are made with milk and other flavors such as vanilla, hazelnut, cinnamon dolce, pumpkin spice, etc. They are frequently topped with whipped cream.
- Vanilla Steamer: An excellent alternative to the traditional hot chocolate. Kids will love it if they like hot drinks. It is flavored with vanilla syrup and topped with whipped cream. Maybe you can ask them to put some vanilla bean powder in it as well. Great to drink with petite vanilla bean scones!
- Hazelnut or Cinnamon Steamer: This drink is very unconventional and an acquired taste. It is sweetened with hazelnut or cinnamon dolce.
Any other seasonal flavors can be made into steamers too. All it means is that the drink will skip the coffee and replace it with steamed milk. You can order a pumpkin spice steamer in the fall and a caramel brulee steamer in the winter.
Stay updated on seasonal flavors. You can sign up for Starbucks' newsletter or read the in-store advertisements.
Some of these teas are caffeinated, but I've selected the ones with calming effects.
- Calm Tea: This caffeine-free drink is the equivalent of a chamomile tea. It contains a blend of lemon, spearmint, chamomile, and other flavors. Very soothing, it is good when you are sick!
- Passion Tea: Another caffeine-free blend, this fruity tea contains mango, passion fruit, and hibiscus flowers with hints of lemongrass. The ideal drink for the apprehensive tea drinker.
- Zen Tea (caffeinated): Tazo's Chinese green tea includes a blend of lemon and spearmint flavors. It is a nice drink for green tea lovers.
The Caramel Apple Spice
If you're not a fan of hot teas, but you're a little under the weather or just freezing to death out there in the winter, the Caramel Apple Spice is the perfect drink. It consists of steamed apple juice, some cinnamon dolce syrup, caramel sauce, and whipped cream. This steaming drink will warm you up though its sweetness isn't good for sore throats. You can always ask for no whipped cream, light caramel, and only a pump of cinnamon dolce if you don't want a lot of flavor in your drink.
Summer is coming up, and you will probably crave an iced cold drink at your local Starbucks soon. Here are some great drinks without coffee that you must try!
Lemonades and Iced Teas
- Strawberry Lemonade: You're sweating and frustrated with the heat. The strawberry lemonade at Starbucks is a must-try. You can also do a raspberry lemonade!
These drinks are popular during the hot season. Make sure that you specify whether or not you like your iced tea beverages sweetened. Some people are disappointed when they get their drink and it turns out flavorless.
- Passion Tea Lemonade: It is a fruity blend of mango and passion fruit with lemonade. It's straight forward but one of the best and most popular drinks at Starbucks, especially when it's hot!
You can also get a black tea lemonade. Its flavor resembles that of an Arnold Palmer.
- Black Tea with Strawberry (caffeinated): The black tea at Starbucks has a little hint of citrus. Get it with strawberry concentrate and some sweetener. Beware of the calories, but many say it's worth it!
When you order, say you want "a black tea with strawberry, no water, and sweetened." When water is added, there's an inexplicable hollow taste.
- Iced Tea Latte: Some people like their iced teas with regular or soy milk. I don't know how well milk would pair with the iced passion tea, but a popular drink is "the iced green tea with soy and sweetened."
Cold Blended Beverages
Frappuccinos are very popular during the summer and periods of warm weather. You probably know that not all frapps are coffee-based, but did you know that you can order all the frapps on the menu without the coffee? Here are some popular frapps without coffee:
- Vanilla Bean Creme Frappuccino: Vanilla-flavored milk is blended with ice and topped with whipped cream.
- Strawberries and Cream Frappuccino: Strawberries and milk are blended with ice and topped with whipped cream.
- Mocha Creme Frappuccino with Java Chips: This is a regular chocolate frapp with crumbled chocolate chips.
- Green Tea Frappuccino (caffeinated): Green tea matcha powder is used for the green tea flavor.
Smoothies only come in a grande (medium) size. All smoothies have some protein powder and bananas. These are healthy alternatives to the conventional café beverages. If you prefer light drinks, order these smoothies with non-fat milk.
- Orange Mango Smoothie: This smoothie combines a whole banana with orange mango juice, milk, protein powder, and ice.
- Strawberry Smoothie: This smoothie uses strawberry puree for flavor.
- Chocolate Smoothie: Mocha-flavored sauce gives this drink a chocolate twist.
You don't have to be a coffee fanatic to enjoy some drinks at Starbucks. And you don't have to stick with what's on the menu—learn to customize your latté. If you have more drinks to add to this list, please leave them in a comment below!
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Ron Mariano