Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
We often use leafy vegetables to make curries, soups, and salads. This drink is different from those recipes. The dish is popularly called as "Tambuli" in our local language. It is less spicy and soothing on your stomach. Drink this beverage at the start of your meal to get the maximum health benefit.
Leafy greens, pepper, cumin seeds, yogurt or curds, and some grated coconut (optional) are the main ingredients used in this drink. You can make it in a jiffy. You can use spinach, dill leaves, curry leaves, coriander leaves, or any other edible leaves to make this drink. Try not to combine multiple kinds of leafy greens because you don't want too many different flavors in the drink. Either use any one variety or combine 2–3 varieties of greens that have a similar flavor.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
four small glasses
Read More From Delishably
- 2 heaped cups green leafy vegetables, either single variety, or similar varieties
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp grated coconut, optional
- 1 cup yogurt or curd
- 2 tsp butter or ghee, a tsp for sauteing+a tsp for tempering
- 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
- 2 cups water
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images For Making Leafy Vegetables Green Drink
- Wash green leafy vegetables.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Throw cumin seeds and peppercorns into the pan.
- Let the cumin crackle.
- Add leafy vegetables and a little salt. Mix once. No need to add water.
- Saute, until the greens become tender and cooked. It may take about 6–7 minutes. Keep aside for cooling.
- Transfer the contents into a mixer/grinder.
- Add grated coconut.
- Grind to form a smooth liquid, adding water while grinding.
- Transfer it into a bowl.
- Add yogurt/curd and salt. Mix well.
- Add water to make it thin or to bring it to drinking consistency.
- Now, it is time for tempering. Heat remaining butter/ghee in a hand pan.
- Throw mustard seeds. Let it pop up.
- Add a few curry leaves. Mix once. This is called tempering.
- Switch off the stove.
- Pour the tempering on the leafy vegetables drink. Mix it while serving.
- I used curry leaves with the leafy greens, considering its health benefits. It also enhances the aroma of the drink.
- Adding tempering is optional; adding it, surely increases the flavor.
- You can add yogurt in the last rounds of grinding or after grinding the leafy greens.
- You can consume this drink either as a side dish or as an independent drink.
- It is less spicy, and hence, a favorite of children and old people also.
© 2017 ShailaSheshadri