Extreme Diabetes Management: Rise-and-Shine Frothy Morning Latte
Welcome back to my Extreme Diabetes Management recipe series! The recipes in this series were created during a very strict detox food challenge recommended by my chiropractor as a way to potentially reverse my Type II Diabetes. My change in eating habits required that I stop eating all processed foods, sugars, dairy (except for butter and heavy whipping cream), fruits (except for avocado), starches, legumes, grains, sauces, and alcohol. As a result, I reduced my A1c from 7.0 to 6.4. This has encouraged me to keep the eating habits I've developed as a result of this food challenge.
Frothy Hazelnut Coffee Latte
Featured here is an easy-to-create frothy latte that'll boost your morning energy with each satisfying sip. It's creamy and rich, and good for you! Both the coffee and cinnamon pack some health benefits, with a deliciously decadent frothed cream that fills you up without taking away from its goodness.
Ever since my husband bought the French press that came with a little brew timer and a milk frother, I've been smitten with making these lattes.
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup coffee, fresh brewed and still warm
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- Grind coffee beans and brew coffee in a French Press or another type of coffee maker.
- While the coffee is brewing, warm heavy whipping cream on the stove in a pan. It's best warmed slowly over low heat. It's also okay to warm in the microwave for 45 seconds on high heat if you're pressed for time.
- Pour the steaming cream into the much you plan to drink from, then fluff it up with your milk frother.
- Slowly pour in the coffee and stir it into the cream gently.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon on top and swirl into the cream.
- Sip and savor.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||243|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 27 g||42%|
|Saturated fat 17 g||85%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 98 mg||33%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Nutrition Research Notes
This coffee latte bears a small number of nutrients in the form of Vitamins A and C. Cinnamon contains Vitamin C, along with a smidgeon of calcium and iron. It also contains polyphenol, a powerful anti-oxidant. Cinnamon has been used for hundreds of years to help keep blood sugar under control for those who manage Type II Diabetes, which is needed to balance all of the decadence contained in the cream.
Yet coffee has also been found to help lower the risk of developing Type II Diabetes (Harvard School of Public Health study, 2014).
The heavy cream contains lots of fat and some sugars, but it also contains protein to balance its profile.
Coffee Loves Company!
I do recommend preparing a nutritious breakfast full of extra proteins to eat alongside your latte.
How do you rate this frothy morning latte recipe?
© 2018 Karen A Szklany