Fruity Iced Green Tea Refreshers
Please rate my recipe
I always pack my lunch for work the night before to save time during my busy mornings and to make sure I have enough good food and drinks for the day. I usually pack a smoothie, but I was out of yogurt. Looking in my fridge, I saw some pureed fruit that needed to be used up. Not long before, my friend told me that his new favorite drink at work was iced green tea. At that point, I thought that fruit and tea would go very well together, so I proceeded to get it ready. Since everything in my life is an inspiration for an article, I decided to turn it into a simple and tasty article. I hope you enjoy it! I sure did.
How to Make a Refresher
- 2 teabags of your preferred type of green tea (I used pomegranate green tea)
- About 1/2 cup fruit, pureed (I used mixed berries)
- Desired sweetener, if any (I use Splenda. Fruit makes it sweet, but without sweetener of any kind it might be a bit too tart, depending on your tastes.)
- About 1 1/4 cups water
- Ice cubes, as desired (I made iced tea cubes for this.)
- Add 2 tea bags to a small cup, and pour some hot water over it. Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Puree the fruit, if you haven't already.
- Dissolve sweetener into the tea while it is still hot.
- Add fruit into a large (16 or 20 oz) cup or water bottle.
- Pour the hot tea into it.
- Add water until it is about 3/4 of the way full, keeping in mind how much space you want for the ice cubes.
- If desired, refrigerate to cool it down, and add ice cubes when desired.
- If you want it right away, add ice cubes at this point (it may require more ice cubes to chill it).
Stock Up On Tea
Tea bags are inexpensive, and loose leaf tea is a nice treat, so why not stock up on your favorites? This way you will have what you want, and be able to enjoy it every so often.
At this time, I have a variety of different flavors, and one canister of the loose leaf variety. I have enough for whatever mood I am in and can drink them hot or cold.
How to Make Tea Ice Cubes
Tea Ice Cubes
- To make tea ice cubes, steep 2 tea bags of your choice in a small cup of water.
- Once cooled down a little, pour into ice cube trays. If it's not quite full, add a little bit more water.
Other possible additions to the tea ice cubes: lemonade or lemon juice, mint, or fruit.
I like to use tea ice cubes in my iced tea, because it doesn't water my beverage down.
Green Tea Slushy
Another refreshing idea is to pour cooled down tea into a blender with either tea ice cubes or regular ice cubes, and blend until the beverage is a slushy mix. If you decide to do this, it would also be an option to use frozen fruit instead of fresh or thawed fruit.
My Tasty Blueberry & Green Tea Slushy
Iced Tea With Fruit Juice
Another iced tea version I enjoy a lot has fruit juice in it, instead of fruit. I made this the other day, when I came inside on a hot day. This was quick to make, and cooled me down very well!