Ginger, Garlic, and Yogurt Drink (Tambuli)
Ginger and Garlic are Miraculous Spices
Ginger is aromatic, pungent, and a bit spicy. It adds a special flavor and zest to any dish it's added to. It has very few calories, is a good source of antioxidants, and has a powerful bioactive compound called 'gingerol.' This rhizome helps in digestion, reducing nausea, and help fight the common cold and flu, to name a few benefits.
Garlic is a magical spice that has powerful medicinal properties. Roasted garlic has a captivating smell and flavor that acts as a taste booster in many curries and beverages. This spice is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Garlic is enriched with protein, vitamins, iron, and minerals.
Yogurt or curds is the other major ingredient used in making this drink. It is a good source of animal protein. It has all the nutrients found in dairy foods.
Making this beverage is very easy. I made it in 10 minutes. It is a mild-spicy drink that you can use as a beverage or a side dish for plain rice.
This drink is known to reduce the gas problems in you. It also improves your digestion and induces appetite.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe with you.
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 dry red chili (less hot variety), use one more chili if you want to use this as a side dish.
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp clarified butter/ghee or butter, for sauteing
- 3 cups yogurt or curds
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering, no need to add tempering if you are using as a drink
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp ghee, for the tempering
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut, optional, gives thickness and nice flavor
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Ginger, Garlic, and Yogurt Drink
- Heat 1/2 tsp ghee or butter in a small pan. Add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Throw in chopped ginger, garlic, and broken red chili. Saute for a minute or a few more seconds. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer it to a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut, salt, and some yogurt. Grind together to get a smooth liquid.
- Pour it to a bowl. Add remaining yogurt or curds. Add water. Mix well. Your favorite ginger-garlic drink is ready!
- You can use it as a beverage straight away. Many people store it in a refrigerator to drink it chilled.
- If you want to use this drink as a side dish, add one more dry red chili while sauteing ginger and garlic. Adding a simple tempering enhances it's taste as a side dish.
- For making a tempering, heat some ghee in a small pan. Add mustard seeds to it. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves. Turn off the heat. Mix well.
- Pour it on the beverage. Stir well. Serve it as a side dish with plain rice.
- Enjoy this aromatic dish!
Nutritional Information of Ginger, Garlic, and Yogurt Drink
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium 24 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|