Quick and Easy Beverages: Gooseberry Yogurt Raita (Amla Raita)
A Nutritious Beverage in 10 minutes!
Gooseberries ("Amla" in Hindi; "Nellikai' in Kannada) are light-colored berries that are very popular due to their nutrition. They are mildly sour with a tinge of sweetness.
Matured gooseberries are not as tart compared to the unripe ones. They are the store house of abundant vitamin C. They are high in antioxidants, fiber, vitamin A, calcium, and magnesium. They aid in digestion, give natural shine to skin and hair, prevent heart disease, support anti-aging, induce appetite, etc.
Making amla tambuli (gooseberry raita) is one of the best ways to include this fruit in our diet. This easy beverage can be made in 10 minutes. You can either use it as a side dish or drink as a beverage. This raita pairs well with plain rice.
Let me now share with you the detailed gooseberry raita recipe.
Gooseberry (Amla) Raita or Nellikai Tambuli
- 3 gooseberries(amla), remove the seed, roughly chop the flesh
- 2 tbsp grated coconut, optional, gives good taste
- 2 1/2 cups yogurt or curd or buttermilk, less sour
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp ghee or oil, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, for the tempering and for grinding
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1 cup water, or as per requirement
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Gooseberry(amla) Yogurt Raita or Nellikai Tambuli
- Roast a quarter teaspoon of cumin seeds in ghee or oil. Keep aside.
- Wash gooseberries. Remove the seed. Roughly chop the flesh. Take them in a mixer or blender.
- Add green chilies and roasted cumin seeds. Grind together adding water little by little to get a smooth liquid.
- Add yogurt and salt. Mix well. Your favorite gooseberry yogurt raita is ready!
- Now you have to temper this raita. This is optional. It gives a nice flavor.
- For making it, you have to heat a teaspoon ghee or oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Throw in remaining cumin seeds and curry leaves. Stir once.
- Pour this on the raita. Stir well. Add water if you want a thin consistency.
- Normally raita is made thick for using as a side dish. Thin consistency is preferred for drinking as a beverage.
- For drinking this as a beverage, no need to add tempering.
- Enjoy drinking or eating this mildly-spiced gooseberry yogurt dish.
Nutritional Information of Gooseberry Yogurt Raita or Nellikai Tambuli
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 68 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|