Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Buttermilk is a soothing drink for hot summer days. Though plain buttermilk is tasty, you can make it tastier and healthier by spicing it up with ginger, garlic, and other spices. Keep it in the refrigerator to drink whenever you feel hot.
Making this drink is very easy. It can be a good remedy for gas, indigestion, and stomach pain since it has a cooling effect on your body. Ground ginger, garlic, coconut (optional), green chili, hing (asafoetida), and salt are mixed with buttermilk to make this wonderful beverage. You have to sieve the mix. Enjoy drinking this spicy and flavorful drink.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
6 glasses of buttermilk
- 5 glasses buttermilk (sour), or 3 glasses of thin curd (sour)
- 1 inch ginger, cut in pieces
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green chili, not so hot
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
- 1/4 teaspoon hing/asafoetida powder
- 1 glass water, 2 glasses if you are using curds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, optional, only if buttermilk or curd is not sour
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut, optional, gives rich flavor
- Take ginger, garlic, grated coconut, green chili, hing, and a portion of buttermilk in a mixer. Grind to get a smooth mix. If it is not smooth, sieve it. Collect the mix in a tumbler. Discard the waste.
- Add remaining buttermilk, water, chopped coriander leaves, and salt to the tumbler. Mix well. Check for taste. If you want it to be sour, mix some lemon juice to it.
- Keep the tumbler in the refrigerator for cooling. Enjoy drinking cold buttermilk in hot summer!
Some Useful Tips:
- If you are grinding smooth, no need to sieve. Chunks of garlic or ginger in the buttermilk are quite pleasing.
- Buttermilk or curd should be moderately sour. If it is not sour, use lemon juice to get the proper taste.
- Looking at the ingredient, it is obvious that it is a very healthy beverage.
- You can make it less spicy or more spicy by adjusting the ingredients.