Guide to Making a Spicy Ginger-Garlic Buttermilk
Introduction to Spicy Ginger-Garlic Buttermilk
Buttermilk is a soothing drink for hot summer days. Though plain buttermilk is tasty, you can make it tastier and healthier by spicing it up with ginger, garlic, and other spices. Keep it in the refrigerator and drink it whenever you feel hot.
Making this drink is very easy. It can be a good remedy for gas, indigestion, and stomach pain. It has a cooling effect on your body. Ground ginger, garlic, coconut (optional), green chili, hing (asafoetida), and salt are mixed with buttermilk to make this wonderful beverage. You have to sieve the mix. Enjoy drinking the spicy and flavorful drink.
- 5 glasses buttermilk(sour), or 3 glasses of thin curd(sour)
- 1 inch ginger, cut in pieces
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green chili, not so hot
- 1 tsp coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida powder
- 1 glass water, 2 glasses if you are using curds
- 1 tsp lemon juice, optional, only if buttermilk or curd is not sour
- 1 tbsp grated coconut, optional, gives rich flavor
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spicy Ginger-Garlic Buttermilk
- Take ginger, garlic, grated coconut, green chili, hing, and a portion of buttermilk in a mixer. Grind to get a smooth mix. If it is not smooth, sieve it. Collect the mix in a tumbler. Discard the waste.
- Add remaining buttermilk, water, chopped coriander leaves, and salt to the tumbler. Mix well. Check for taste. If you want it to be sour, mix some lemon juice to it.
- Keep the tumbler in the refrigerator for cooling. Enjoy drinking cold buttermilk in hot summer!
Some Useful Tips:
- If you are grinding smooth, no need to sieve. Chunks of garlic or ginger in the buttermilk is quite pleasing.
- Buttermilk or curd should be moderately sour. If it is not sour, use lemon juice to get the proper taste.
- Looking at the ingredient, it is obvious that it is a very healthy beverage.
- You can make it less spicy or more spicy by adjusting the ingredients.
Nutritional Information of Spicy Ginger-Garlic Buttermilk
|Serving size: 1 glass|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 3 mg||1%|
|Sodium 24 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|