I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
Before You Get Started
We get plenty of mangoes in the market during mango season. During summer, mango rasayana, also called as "Aamras" or "Seekarane," is the favorite beverage in many homes here. People serve this sweet dish all the time, even at functions and feasts. It is sometimes used as a dessert as well.
Mango rasayana is healthier and tastier than a classic mango smoothie. Unlike a smoothie that might be made with milk and sugar, rasayana is made with coconut milk and jaggery. You can see this by looking at the ingredients.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
Four glasses of mango rasayana
- 2 bowls mango pulp, use varieties of mangoes for best results
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 4 cardamom, finely crushed
- 1 cup jaggery powder
- 2 pinches salt, to taste
How to Make Mango Rasayana
- Wash and cut the mangoes. (I recommend using different varieties of mangoes for the best taste.)
- Squeeze the pulp into a bowl with your fingers.
- Grind some grated coconut in a blender, adding some water.
- Strain the coconut water (voilà, it's now coconut milk!) and add it to the pulp.
- Add jaggery powder, cardamom powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix well.
- Bring mixture to a drinkable consistency by adding more coconut milk or water.
- Your delicious mango rasayana is ready! Pour it into glasses and serve cold.
Step-By-Step Photo Instructions
- The salt is just for taste, so only add a little bit!
- The quantity of jaggery powder usage in the recipe depends on the sweetness of the mangoes. If mangoes are sweet, use less jaggery, and vice versa.
- Use sweet-variety mangoes with one or two sour-variety mangoes, to get a tangy taste.
© 2017 ShailaSheshadri
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on September 19, 2019:
Thanks for reading my article. You are right. Mango rasayana is very delicious. Hope you also make it at home.
Halemane Muralikrishna from South India on September 19, 2019:
Mouthwatering mango and coconut preparation.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on June 08, 2017:
Thank you. You can use sugar instead of jaggery. But, jaggery gives better taste and is also considered good for health. Add a little salt(a few pinches) to the juice to get the perfect taste. I think, you may get jaggery in the Indian store in your area.
Kierstin Gunsberg from Traverse City, Michigan on June 08, 2017:
We don't consume alcohol in our home so I'm always looking for unique and fancy-feeling drinks to imbibe guilt-free and this looks so perfect for summer! I love anything with coconut milk and my husband is on a mango-kick. I can't wait to try! If I can't find jaggery, is there an acceptable substitute?