Healthy Drinks: Brahmi (Gotu Kola) and Curry Leaves Beverage Recipe
About Brahmi (Gotu Kola) and Curry Leaves
Brahmi is one of the most powerful tonics in Ayurveda. Traditionally, brahmi leaves are used to help boost memory, intelligence, and to relax the central nervous system. Even now we give children brahmi to drink because it can increase the brain's power.
Curry leaves are native to India. They are flavoring agents that are used in making curries. These leaves not only add flavor to the curry, but they have medicinal properties that benefit for health. They are thought to have antioxidant, anti-diabetic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-carcinogenic properties. They protect the liver from damage.
Using brahmi and curry leaves in your diet enhances your general health. The recipe for brahmi and curry leaves drink (popularly known as "tambuli") is very easy. Make this simple beverage once in a while to boost your overall health.
- 1 cup brahmi leaves with the stem
- 1/2 cup curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp pepper corns
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp grated coconut, optional, for flavor and thickness
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk or curd or yogurt
- water, as required
Step-By-Step Instructions and Photos Showing Brahmi and Curry Leaves Beverage Recipe
- Dry saute pepper corns and cumin seeds till they are crispy.
- Take brahmi leaves, curry leaves, pepper corns, cumin seeds, and grated coconut in a mixer grinder. Add some butter milk or curd or yogurt to it. Grind it to get a smooth paste.
- Transfer the paste to a bowl. Add remaining buttermilk or curd and salt. Mix well.
- Add water to bring it to the drinking consistency.
- Pour the drink into serving glass. Drink it fresh! Store the remaining beverage in the refrigerator.
- Make this drink for one time use. Store the remaining beverage in the refrigerator and use it within few hours.