Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
Chai means tea, and chai masala is an Indian spice tea blend that is not only delicious, but also helps boost immunity and keep colds and coughs at bay.
This spice blend will also keep the body warm; hence, chai masala is traditionally consumed only in the winter.
You can prepare this spice mix in just a few minutes. For best results, prepare no more than a 7-10 day supply. This will ensure freshness.
Any Indian kitchen will have all of these spices on hand, as these are very commonly used spices that are used on a near-daily basis. If you can't find one of these spices in your regular grocery store, go to your local Indian market, or check online.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 10 grams dalchini (cinnamon sticks)
- 20 grams saunf (fennel seeds)
- 10 grams ajwain (carom seeds)
- 25 grams sonth (ginger powder)
- 25 grams hari elaichi (green cardamom)
- 25 grams lavang (cloves)
- 10 grams moti elaichi (black cardamom)
- 10 grams sabut kali mirch (whole peppercorns)
- Place all ingredients in a grinder and grind until fine.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
- We use 1/4 tsp of this masala per cup of tea. You may add more or less, as per your taste.
Homemade Chai Masala (Spice Mix for Chai Tea)
© 2019 Rajan Singh Jolly
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on January 19, 2019:
Thank you, Peggy.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on January 18, 2019:
I love the flavor of Chai tea. Now, thanks to you, I know how to make it.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on January 17, 2019:
Mary, this is to be added to regular black tea while preparing it. We make tea with milk, almost always. This is a healthy spice mix which I hope you can try.
Thank you for reading.
Mary Wickison from Brazil on January 17, 2019:
Is this added to black tea or just to boiling water? I have seen some that are added to milk as well.
I am looking for alternatives to having coffee in the morning as I feel it is pretty harsh on my digestive system.