I love bananas. Sometimes, however, I'm not able to consume them all before the skin turns brown. Sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach!
I don't like to throw away overripe bananas, so I try to use them in other recipes, if possible. I've made plenty of banana rolls and fried bananas—but I was looking for a change.
I decided to make a smoothie.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
3 to 4 servings
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- 2 bananas, chopped
- 10 frozen strawberries
- 2 glasses cold orange juice
- 150 grams cold yogurt
- Sugar, for glass rim (optional)
- Pour the 2 glasses of orange juice into the blender.
- Peel the skin off of the bananas and chop the fruit. Add the chopped banana to the blender.
- Add the frozen strawberries to the blender.
- Add the cold yoghurt. Put the lid on the blender. Blend the fruit mixture for 1-2 minutes or until it´s good enough for your taste. Blending the fruit at low speed will give you a fruity smoothie.
- Wet the rim of a glass with water and dip it into a bowl of white sugar (this is an optional step).
- Pour the banana strawberry yogurt smoothie into the prepared glass. Decorate it with a fresh strawberry if you have. Enjoy your smoothie!
Tips and Variations
- You can use fresh strawberries if you like. In this case, you have to hull and wash the strawberries before using them in your smoothies. I used frozen strawberries because they have a soft consistency, and besides that, I still have lots left over from my last harvest.
- In this recipe, I used blood orange juice with vitamins A, C, and E. You can use any kind of orange juice. You can also use other types of fruit juices (e.g., pineapple, apple, currant, etc.).
- You can decorate a glass of banana strawberry yogurt smoothie with sugar, fresh strawberries, a straw, and a cute umbrella.
- Use any fruits that are in season or whatever you have in your pantry.
- Try adding vanilla ice cream on top of this smoothie.
- Instead of yogurt, you can use milk, soya milk, or buttermilk.
- If you would like to use tropical fruits like pineapples, mango, or jackfruit, you can buy canned fruit from Asian groceries.
Fruits, Milk Products and Juices for Smoothies
Full milk yogurt
Yogurt with nuts
Yogurt with fruits
Health Benefits of Banana, Strawberry and Yogurt
- Banana is a good source of fiber and potassium. It contains vitamins B6, B12, and C, and minerals like magnesium iron. Eating bananas boosts energy.
- Strawberry is an excellent source of vitamin C. It contains phytonutrients and antioxidants that help fight against the free radicals in our body. It contains vitamins K, B5, B6, and minerals like manganese, potassium, folic acid, omega 3, copper and riboflavin.
- Yogurt contains good cultured bacteria and probiotic enzymes. It contains vitamins B2 and B12 and minerals like protein, magnesium and calcium.
Sources: The Tao of Good Health, Momcaster and MedicineNet.com
© 2013 Thelma Alberts