I like making natural and healthy drinks at my house; they taste much better than anything bought at the store.
The Ingredients You Need
- A pomelo
- 20g of edible salt
- An appropriate amount of water
- 500g honey
- 200g rock candy
The Making Progress
1. Washing the pomelo carefully to make sure it is clean enough to eat and use a piece of kitchen towel paper to dry it. Spread some salt on the pomelo and use it to scrub the skin of the pomelo over and over again.
2. Wash off the salt and use a piece of kitchen towel paper to dry the pomelo. Cut off the top of the pomelo and expose the white bast of it.
3. Cut 8–10 marks on the pomelo with a fruit knife then peel off the pomelo skin along with the marks with your hand.
4. Remove the white bast from the pomelo skin because it tastes very bitter. Tear apart the flesh and remove the kernel.
5. Wear a pair of food gloves and squeeze the juice out of the flesh as much as you can and put the juice into a container waiting for use.
6. Do not throw away the flesh and cut the remainder of the flesh into pieces or throw them away if you do not like the beverage tasting a little bitter.
7. The skin of the pomelo you peeled before is useful now. Further cut off the white bast from the skin.
8. Cut the skin into strips which width between 1–2 millimeters.
9. Put the strips into the saucepan and add some water to make them spill over the strips, stewing the strips until the water is boiling.
10. After the water is boiling, then turn down the fire and keep stewing. Remember to rake the strips over at least two times during this progress.
11. Pull the small pieces made in step 6 into the saucepan and keep stewing.
12. Half an hour later, checking the water volume and at this time, there should be many bubbles on the surface of the water, and the mixture will become thicker.
13. When there is little water in the saucepan, then pull into the juice you made in step 5, if the juice is too thick then add some water and keep stewing.
14. Put the rock sugar into the saucepan and stir them evenly.
15. When there is little water in the saucepan, then turn off the fire and till it cools down to about 50℃ then pull into the honey.
16. Stir the tea evenly and then put it into the container then wait for it to cool down.
How to Preserve the Honey Pomelo Tea You Made?
When the making of Honey Pomelo Tea is finished, you can drink it immediately by adding some water. But the best way is to seal it well and put it into the refrigerator for more than a week and then enjoy it after pulling some water to dilute it. If you keep it in the refrigerator for more than 10 days, the bitter taste of the tea will disappear and the fragrance of pomelo will become deeper.
© 2014 Danyang Li
Bill Tanner on November 29, 2019:
Is it possible to buy pomelo juice in the US? I have a home in Thailand and enjoy it there.
Danyang Li (author) from China on November 11, 2014:
Actually the more bitter the honey pomelo tea tastes the better its effect, so do not throw the flesh away after squeezing it if you can handle with a litter bitterness.