How to Make a Tapioca Pearls and Agar Cooler
Most Asian countries have their own variation of this drink. The first time I had this drink was when I visited beautiful Penang Island, Malaysia. Tapioca pearls, or tapioca balls, are made from starch that is extracted from cassava root. Agar, also called agar-agar, is a vegetarian gelatin. The combination of these two in a refreshing cooler is absolutely perfect. That's why I came up with my own version. While best enjoyed during the summer season, it can certainly be made any time of year!
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 250 grams tapioca pearls, cook according to package instruction
- 25 grams agar, cook according to package instructions
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Cooking spoon
Cook Time and Yield
- Cook tapioca pearls and agar according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Add water, sugar and vanilla extract in a pot. Bring to boil. Turn off the heat.
- Let the mixture cool down and bit before transferring it in a pitcher.
- Cut agar into small cubes.
- Keep all the ingredients inside the refrigerator.
- To serve, pour the flavored mixture into a glass then add tapioca pearls and agar. Serve cold.
Tips and Techniques
- Add sugar to improve its sweetness.
- Adjust vanilla extract if necessary. The strong flavor of vanilla extract varies depending on the product manufacturer.
- Best served as a snack.
More Snackable Juices
- How to Make Snackable Dragon Fruit Coolers
Have you wondered if it's possible to combine a snack and a drink in one? It is possible! Try this refreshing and easy-to-make recipe for snackable dragon fruit coolers. Enjoy!
- How to Make Jelly Juice Using Your Favorite Powdered Juice
Jelly juice is a popular drinkable snack for kids. Make your own version at home using your favorite powdered juice. It's absolutely fun and easy to make.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Travel Chef