John has been writing video game strategy guides for seven years in addition to publishing gaming videos on YouTube.
This article is going to teach you how to make a Malibu Bay Breeze. The key three ingredients being used here are going to be fresh pineapple juice, cranberry juice, and Malibu Coconut Rum. This is a great-looking and -tasting drink that is truly perfect for any summer party or fun occasion. This is my mother's favorite drink, which she orders whenever we go to any restaurant, and is fairly simple to make.
The essential rum in this drink is Malibu Coconut Rum. I have seen recently that the company makes many types of flavored rums now besides coconut, but their classic coconut flavor is what is used in this drink.
The pineapple juice is also a key part of this drink. Being a bartender, my fridge is full of different freshly squeezed juices and cocktail mixers, but I think that for this drink having freshly squeezed pineapple juice is ten times better than any store-bought juice. As you can see from my photos, the pineapple juice I use is freshly squeezed and makes this drink a lot better than if I used Dole juice. With that being said, the actual drink won't taste much different if you use store-bought juice; I personally like taking the extra effort to make my own juice. Also, if you are making this for just yourself, the store-bought is clearly easier, I just tend to squeeze pineapple juice weekly; therefore I used my hand squeezed juice instead of the store-bought.
Also when you are picking up the cranberry juice, I tend to try to buy 100% juice, and not juice cocktail. I feel the juice is a lot better, although in this drink where only a splash is used either one will be fine.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1-2 ounces Malibu Coconut Rum
- 4 ounces fresh pineapple juice
- Splash cranberry juice
- First, you need to choose your glass. I use a standard cocktail glass and feel that not only will this keep the size of your drink under control but also gives that more tropical/party looking drink that we strive for. This is more for show than for drink, but I like making these in cocktail glasses.
- Now add the ice. I usually fill about 3/4 of the glass with ice. This allows you to keep the drink cold, and to make sure there is a good amount of filler in the cup.
- Now add the Malibu. For my drink, I added about 1.5 ounces of Malibu Rum, but as long as you use between 1 and two ounces you will have the perfect drink. If you use less than 1 ounce the drink will lack alcohol and taste. But you can use more than 2 ounces if using a bigger cup, making a bigger drink, or looking for a stronger drink. In any case, I would not suggest any more than about 3 ounces of Malibu Rum.
- Before adding the pineapple juice make sure you shake the juice. Pineapple juice tends to separate more than other juices, and you need to shake the juice otherwise you will not be getting a good drink. Not only that, but you will ruin the rest of your pineapple juice by taking away most of the separated liquid. So make sure the pineapple juice is shaken well prior to the next step.
- Next, add the Pineapple Juice. You should add about 4 ounces of pineapple juice, or fill it to where you can see on my drink. I did not measure the liquids on this drink but did them solely by sight, and I would say that the pineapple juice and the rum should equal about 4/5 of the glass.
- Now stir these two ingredients. Some people shake them, but either way is fine. I stirred them because I already poured them into my glass I was going to drink out of, but normally I would have put them in a cocktail shaker and shaken them first. It does not matter which you do, and the drink typically will taste the same either way.
- Once the pineapple juice is poured in, and shaken with the Malibu, you can add your splash of cranberry juice. Now some recipes call for 2 ounces of cranberry juices, but that kills the drink. I usually do a splash for flavor color. If just adding 1 splash of juice, you should not stir the drink. Look in my last picture of how the cranberry juice leaves a wave of color to the drink. In my opinion, this is much more exotic, and much tropical twist to this drink that if you shake or stir the cranberry juice. IF you are not using a see-through cup or glass then you mine as well stir the cranberry juice in, but leaving it unstirred still gives the flavor through the whole drink but leaves that exotic coloring.
Your Malibu bay breeze is ready to be enjoyed. So kick back and enjoy this delicious treat, and remember to drink responsibly and know your limits. And most importantly, always have fun!. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think in the comments.
Carolann on April 30, 2015:
A great drink. My new favorite.
shin_rocka04 from Maryland on February 15, 2013:
Definitely a great drink for the ladies. I've made it a few times.
John Reid-Roberts (author) from Boston, Massachusetts on June 25, 2012:
@Jenn-Anne, thanks and I hope you like. The drink is delicious, and have never had a bad review from someone who has tried it. Let me know what you think when you finally do try one.
Jenn-Anne on June 24, 2012:
Nice hub. Thorough instructions. Wish I had the ingredients on hand so I could make this drink. Guess I know what I'll be adding to the shopping list next time I go to the store!