Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He likes to share his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Jamun is a summer fruit that is both sweet and tart with an astringent aftertaste. In Hindi it is known by various names including jambul, jamli, jambul, jambolan, jambus and kala jamun. In English it has several names, as well, including Indian blackberry, black plum and java plum.
Jamun provides several health benefits because of its phytonutrient, vitamin and mineral content. The fruit can help lower blood sugar, relieve issues related to the stomach and promote heart, liver, skin and oral health.
Today we are preparing a jamun smoothie, which is a refreshing and cooling summer drink. Using a high-speed blender, the drink comes together in seconds. Do try this smoothie and share your experience.
Note: Jamun juice stains not only the hands but the tongue as well for a few hours after you consume it. Not to worry, the natural colour is harmless.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1/2 cup jamun (black plum), sliced, deseeded and chilled in the freezer
- 1/2 cup dahi (yoghurt), chilled in the freezer
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 lemon or lime, juiced
- 4-5 crushed ice cubes
- Wash and slice the jamuns and discard the seeds. Place the sliced fruit in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill.
- Add the jamun slices to a blender jar and add all of the remaining ingredients, one after the other. Close the cap and blend until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie in a glass and serve immediately.
Jamun (Black Plum) Smoothie Recipe
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly