Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Lauki (bottle gourd) juice is quick and easy to make at home. Bottle gourd is a very healthy vegetable, and it makes a delightful curry, as well.
Its fibre-rich juice is a natural coolant for the summer season. It has several health benefits, and it is also thought to help detoxify the body.
- Always taste the lauki before juicing it. If it is bitter, do not use it as it is poisonous.
- Drink the juice as soon as it is prepared. Storing the juice not only results in nutrients and health benefits being lost but it also causes gas and/or bloating.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 150 grams lauki (bottle gourd)
- 150 ml water
For the imli (tamarind) water:
- 15 grams imli (tamarind)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- water as needed, to soak the bottle gourd
- Prepare tamarind water by soaking the tamarind and salt in warm water until soft. Then mash the pulp and squeeze out the water. Add salt and stir well until dissolved.
- Wash the bottle gourd thoroughly. Soak it in tamarind water for 15 minutes. This will help to remove most of the pesticides. If you buy organic bottle gourd, you may skip this step.
- Wash the soaked bottle gourd well with water; then dry with a dry napkin.
- Cut out the required amount of bottle gourd and peel it. Slice into quarters and cut out the seed portion.
- Taste a small piece to check that it is not bitter. If it is bitter, discard it and use a bottle gourd that is not bitter.
- Chop the bottle gourd into small pieces and add them to a grinder jar. Add a little water and make a fine puree.
- Transfer the puree to a glass and add the rest of the water. Stir well and serve immediately.
Lauki (Bottle Gourd) Juice Recipe
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly