Leafy Vegetable Tambli (Leafy-Greens Drink)
Drink Your Greens!
Summer heat demands soothing, cooling food on the menu. This leafy vegetable tambli is one such soothing beverage that can also be used as a side dish. Leafy veggies and yogurt are the main ingredients in this drink. The aroma of sautéed greens and cumin makes it appetizing.
You can make tambli with any variety of edible greens. Normally, you should choose those varieties that are smooth, soft, and not bitter.
Tambli is mildly spicy and very delicious. Eat it with steamed rice at the beginning of your meal. You can also drink it as is. Either way, it will have a soothing effect on your stomach.
Here, I share with you a detailed recipe for making this leafy-greens drink.
- 1 cup (tightly packed) leafy greens (leafy vegetables), washed, chopped
- 1/4 tsp pepper corns
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 tsp ghee, 1/2 tsp for sauteing, 1/2 tsp for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt or curds or buttermilk, medium sour
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- a small piece dry red chili, for the tempering
- salt to taste
- water as required
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Leafy-Greens Drink
- Heat ghee in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds and pepper corns. Saute until cumin sizzles.
- Add washed leafy greens. Throw in some salt. This will help to retain the color of the leafy greens in tact.
- Saute over a medium high heat until the greens cook. If needed, add a few drops of water to keep them moist. Turn off the heat. Keep aside for cooling.
- Next, put them to a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut, some curds, and remaining salt. Grind to get a smooth paste.
- Collect it in a mixing bowl. Add remaining curds. Add 3-4 cups of water. Adjust the consistency by adding water.
- Tambli should be medium thick. If you want to use it as a drink, keep it more liquid.
- For using it as a side dish, keep it a bit thick. Also, add a tempering to it.
- For that, heat remaining ghee in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Throw in broken dry red chili and curry leaves. Saute once. Turn off the heat.
- Pour it on the tambli. Mix once. Serve tambli with cooked rice or drink a cup as is! It is a very delicious beverage to relish.
Nutritional Information of Leafy-Greens Tambli
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 22 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|