I used to work at Longhorn Steakhouse, and this is exactly the recipe the bartenders use.
Recipe From an Insider
There are lots of websites that claim to have this recipe or that recipe. I made one of those so-called recipes for dinner last night. Needless to say, my family was a bit disappointed, because it wasn't exactly what they remembered from the restaurant.
This margarita recipe is exactly what the bartenders do at the restaurant. Most bartenders don't use jiggers, so their pour may be heavier or lighter than what you remember. I highly recommend you use a jigger or some other means to get your pours accurate. After you taste it, you can tweak it to your taste.
How to Make a Watermelon Margarita (Just Like Longhorn Steakhouse)
Here's how to make a watermelon margarita just like the ones they serve at Longhorn Steakhouse.
- 1 1/4 ounces Don Julio Blanco tequila
- 3/4 ounce Smirnoff watermelon vodka
- 2 ounces Monin watermelon syrup
- 6 ounces sour mix
- Splash of grenadine
- Watermelon sugar, for the rim
- Sliced watermelon, for garnish
- Add liquors and all other ingredients to a martini-like shaker. Fill it with ice and put on the shaker's lid. Shake.
- Wet the lip of the margarita glass with water and then dip it into superfine sugar that is colored and flavored with a drop of Monin syrup. You'll have to play with the amount. Mix the sugar with a drop of syrup and then stir.
- Strain and pour into a glass or over ice. Enjoy!
Where to Buy the Ingredients
Most local liquor stores will carry the Don Julio Blanco tequila and the Smirnoff Watermelon. Grenadine is a cherry-flavored syrup that is typically used to make drinks like Shirley Temples. I found it at Super Target.
The sour mix is readily available at any grocery or liquor store. If you want to cut calories, this is where you can do it by substituting a sugar-free version.
Monin Watermelon is a bit more difficult to find. Try your local liquor store first, especially if you are looking in the summertime. The flavor is spot-on! Monin's products are worth using!