Making Fenugreek Leaf Cold Soup/Tambuli
Fenugreek Leaf (methi) Has Innumerable Health Benefits
Fenugreek leaves are rich in vitamins and minerals. They get easily absorbed by the body. It is a wonder herb that has calcium, potassium, phosphorous, iron, and dietary fiber in its naturally occurring form.
Fenugreek leaf is a good beauty aid too. It is one of the popular veggies used in Indian cuisine. It not only adds taste and flavor, also provides numerous health benefits. It helps to control diabetes and cholesterol. Often, it is used as a medicine to treat stomach problems, such as constipation, gastritis, etc.
This fenugreek drink is tasty and appetizing. You won't feel the bitterness of methi in this. This beverage is yogurt-based. Hence, it has good cooling effect on your body during summer.
How to Make Tambuli At-a-Glance:
To make this tambuli (drink), you have to saute fenugreek leaves with ghee/oil till they loose water content. Next, grind it with sauteed cumin, pepper corns, grated coconut, salt, and yogurt. Get a smooth puree. Add water or buttermilk to adjust the consistency. Done. You can drink this instantly.
For using it as a side dish for rice, add a tempering to enhance it's taste. This tambuli you have to keep in the refrigerator and use within a day.
Over to the detailed recipe.
- 1 heaped bowl fenugreek leaves, leaf separated from the stem
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp pepper corns
- 1 green chili, slit, not so hot variety
- 2 cups or more curds/yogurt, preferably sour curds
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp ghee/oil, I used ghee, gives nice flavor
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/2 dry red chili, for the tempering
- 4-5 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp ghee/oil, for the tempering
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images For Making Fenugreek Leaf Cold Soup/Tambuli
- Heat ghee/oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds, green chilies, and pepper corns.
- Saute till cumin sizzles.Throw in washed fenugreek leaves(methi). Saute on a medium heat till the entire water evaporates from it.
- In the final stage of sauteing, press the leaf to release the moisture in it and cook it properly. Turn off the heat and transfer it to a blender or mixer.
- When it cools down, add grated coconut, some yogurt, and salt. Grind to get a smooth puree. Collect it in a bowl.
- Now, add the remaining yogurt/curd. Mix well. Add water or buttermilk to adjust the consistency. This dish should not be too thick. Make it running consistency.
- Your favorite fenugreek leaf cold soup/tambuli is ready to drink.
- If you want to use this as a side dish, add less water and keep it thick. Adding a tempering increases the taste and flavor.
- To make the tempering, heat half a teaspoon of ghee or oil in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add curry leaves and dry red chili. Mix well. Turn off the heat. Pour it on the cold soup/tambuli. Mix once.
- Serve it with cooked plain rice. Enjoy eating this soothing combo in summer!