Making a Moringa (Drumstick) Leaf Beverage
Moringa Leaves Drink
Make a Healthy Beverage in 15 Minutes!
Making this moringa leaf beverage is very easy and simple. This herbal drink is made of only a few ingredients. This puree is very nutritious due to the abundant antioxidants and fiber stored in these leaves. Nutritionists say that moringa leaves have the capacity to help prevent cholesterol from forming in the body and also may help control diabetes.
Use only tender moringa leaves, as matured leaves tend to be slightly bitter when cooked.
How to Make Moringa Leaves Drink At-a-Glance:
Saute cumin seeds, pepper, and washed moringa leaves in half a teaspoon of ghee. Once the mix cools down, grind them with some grated coconut (optional), yogurt/curd, and salt to get a smooth puree. Transfer it into a mixing bowl. Add water and some more yogurt. Mix well. Adjust the consistency by adding water. Drink a glass full of this beverage. Enjoy!
Now, let me share the detailed recipe.
Some Important Tips:
Moringa (drumstick) is a seasonal vegetable. Hence, whenever you find moringa leaves, collect them.
I suggest this, mainly looking at the abundant nutrients stored in these leaves. They are tasty too.
Make a thick paste of the sauteed moringa leaves, pepper corn, and salt. Store it in the freezer. Take out whenever you desire, mix it with some yogurt/curd, and water. Consume just as a drink!
You can even make a spicy chutney out of them.
- 1 heaped bowl moringa leaves
- 2 tbsp grated coconut, optional, gives rich flavor
- 1/4 tsp pepper corns
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ghee or butter
- 2 cups yogurt or curds, you can even use buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Moringa/Drumstick Leaf Drink:
- Take tender moringa leaves. Separate them from the stem. Discard the stem. Wash the leaves.
- Heat ghee or butter in a deep-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds and pepper corns. Saute till cumin sizzles.
- Throw in moringa leaves. Saute on a low fire for 6-7 minutes or till they become tender and soft. Sprinkle a few drops of water to keep it moist. Turn off the fire. Set aside for cooling.
- Put them in a mixer or grinder. Add grated coconut. Grind together, while adding yogurt/buttermilk/curd little by little, to get a smooth liquid.
- Transfer it into a bowl. Add remaining yogurt. Throw in salt. Mix well.
- Add water to adjust the consistency. If you want to use it as a side dish, keep it thick. For drinking, make it thin by adding enough water. Adjust salt accordingly.
Your moringa leaf drink is ready! Drink it often for good health. It is a soothing herbal beverage.